need brewing belt advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sucram

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison that is traditional in all ways except for the use of Amarillo hops. I bought a "brew belt" to help achieve the proper fermentation temperature. When I get home I read the warning and it says never to use the belt on a glass carboy. I only ferment in glass. I call the homebrew shop and the guy says not to worry. He says that all the people he knows use them on glass and to just use a pillow case as a buffer. Does anyone else have experience with these "brew belts?" Any advice would help.

I have one, it is okay on glass. But it will make your beer ferment so warm that your ESB will have off flavors that my roommate determined are green olive, burnt green army man and bacon. Use it during winter, if you live in a VERY cold place.

Use it with a temperature controller to maintain the exact temperature you are looking for. I see no reason why it won't work on a glass carboy unless it's very narrow so it concentrates the heat to a small area. In that case just put a towel under it as already suggested. The one shown below covers a large area.

Tom

40535.jpg

Use it with a temperature controller to maintain the exact temperature you are looking for. I see no reason why it won't work on a glass carboy unless it's very narrow so it concentrates the heat to a small area. In that case just put a towel under it as already suggested. The one shown below covers a large area.

Tom

40535.jpg

That one looks like the brew blanket. The brew belt is actually very narrow. They sell them at my LHBS and the guy told me they cannot be used for more than 7 days straight. Unfortunately that doesn't help when you're trying to ferment in a cold space for 2-3 weeks.

For next winter I'm going with the aquarium heater and water bath route.

I've see them hanging on a peg at the LHBS but have yet to try one.

Don't those things have a built in thermostat?

Anyway, put the carboy in a bucket of water, then put the belt around the bucket!

Pogo

If you use the belt with a temperature controller, Ranco for instance, the belt will never stay hot long enough to cause problems. It'll only cycle when needed.

Tom

Back