Need Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
With a few beers ready to be bottled next week, I came to a realization today. I have no bottles to use! Has anyone ever had any luck getting used bottles from a bar or restaurant, or do I just have to sack up and buy a few cases?

Don't be afraid to ask around bars, although they may make you pay for the deposit. That or start drinking!

I had a similar problem when was getting ready to bottle my first batch. I found that here in DC the easiest thing to do was to get outside early on recycling day before the city crews came by. Within 30 minutes I had over a case of empties (brown glass, no twist-offs). After that I scored about 50 empty champaigne bottles and have not worried about bottles since.

Not sure how recycling works in Chicago, though.

Good luck.

i had the same issue on my first brew. I told a few friends what my issue was, and within a week had enough bottles to last a lifetime. then again, i know quite a few drunks

I had a similar problem when was getting ready to bottle my first batch. I found that here in DC the easiest thing to do was to get outside early on recycling day before the city crews came by. Within 30 minutes I had over a case of empties (brown glass, no twist-offs). After that I scored about 50 empty champaigne bottles and have not worried about bottles since.

Not sure how recycling works in Chicago, though.

Good luck.

Good idea, but I wouldn't do this in my neighborhood. I would hate it if my kids got teased at school because I was dumpster diving.

Also, try your local freecycle group (freecycle.org). I scored ~250 bottles about a few weeks ago. They were all rinsed out and in good condition. I probably shouldn't be encouraging other Chicago brewers to do the same, but you gotta share the HBT love.

Also, try your local freecycle group (freecycle.org). I scored ~250 bottles about a few weeks ago. They were all rinsed out and in good condition. I probably shouldn't be encouraging other Chicago brewers to do the same, but you gotta share the HBT love.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try that. Amazingly there's a group here.

My buddy gets our bottles (flippies) from a local German restaurant. The lady just saves the box and puts em in there when she pours em. She says she can't throw them in the recycle bin because of the metal and ceramic (we sure aren't gonna tell her it's easy to pop off).

Also helps to drop off a few full ones to stay in good graces!

I go to the nearby beer store and ask if I can buy back some empties for the price of deposit. Now I can just go in and ask if I can have a look around, and they don't even follow me back to where the bottles are kept.

I've heard of people asking for empties at restaurants, but that has not been reported to be a successful endeavour, usually.

drink drink drink

i think i've purchased 2-3 cases at the LHBS (not tooo expensive - about $12/24). all the rest are from drinking with buddies.

I drink a lot so i never had this problem,but if you can't drink 50 beers in a couple days just ask your friends for help.I think it's a waste buying bottles that DON'T have beer in them.:tank:

Between me and my bud we bought 12 cases of 22oz bottles for about $14 each at the LHBS before making friends with one of the owners of the local Brewpub. After that we usually get 3 cases a week or so from him, all 22oz. or larger, course they are labled but no problem there. I walked out of a company dinner at a bar a few weeks ago carrying 9 empty bottles of Voodoo we drank, they even gave me a bag for them. I have a few friends that drink the good stuff that dont have twist-offs and they should be saving me there bottles from now on. The LBHS owner uses champagne magnums for his beer, so he doesnt have to mess with so many bottles.;)

Back