Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I am somewhat new to homebrew. I am doing a partial mash set up ( I can mash up to about 5 pounds grain in my igloo cooler).

What is better for malt extracts, dry or liquid? Also, what are some better brands. I have only used Briess so far.

Also, does anyone use a wort chiller? Is the use of a wort chiller recommended?

Thanks

A wort chiller is very helpful because you don't need to wait around as long for your wort to cool which makes it have less of a chance to get infected. You also get a cold break from a wort chiller.

A wort chiller is almost a necessity if you are planning to do full boils.
As for extract, I always liked dry myself simply because it would stay fresh longer and seemed to be less messy. If you aren't storing your kits, then I guess it is pretty much a moot point.

I prefer bulk liquid extract (not canned!) because I'm only 10 minutes away from the LHBS, it's cheap and I get the exact amount I need for each recipe. No measuring or storing for me and I'm happy with the beer.

I don't use a chiller because I'm only boiling 2.5-3 gallons - I put my top-off water (in gallon jugs) when I start the mash, and after 3 hours or so they are near freezing. When I'm finished boiling I put the pot in the sink full of cold water and start pouring my top-off water into my primary bucket. Between the water bath and the near freezing water I'm usually under 70* and ready to pitch 15 minutes or so after the boil is done. If you're boiling the full 5 gallons I'd say some sort of chiller would be a good idea, unless you have a nice deep washtub to use and a lot of cold water/ice.

Back