Need advice on new recipe! Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haus88

Reaction score
Need advice on recipe and hop additions. I'm experienced in following / making generic ipas for over 10 years all grain. Trying to make my own.

3 gallon AG small batch.

Looking for a IPA with citrus to follow through with a clean finish. I have multiple yeast strains thinking about using Conan.

I have for hips
Northern brewer 1oz
Sorachi ace 2oz
Bravo1oz
Citra 1oz
2 oz cascade frozen from harvest

Thinking about
1/2 oz northern brewer 60 min
1oz sorachi ace 15 min
1 oz of citra and 1oz of sorachi at 8 min

Grain bill- with 82% efficiency
6lbs 2 row
.5 lbs honey malt
.5 caramuch
1lb Carmel I believe
Maybe fresh honey ??

What you think? I know everyone has different taste just looking for a clean cirrus IPA

I like to keep the crystal malts low in my IPA's, somewhere between 2-5%. When they get much above that I find they interfere too much, for my tastes.

I would drop the Caramel entirely and make up for it with base malt. Move the 8 minute addition to flame out or hopstand. For a hopsand - cool to 170 or so then hop and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. then add a dry hop after fermentation is done.

I like to keep the crystal malts low in my IPA's, somewhere between 2-5%. When they get much above that I find they interfere too much, for my tastes.

I agree, I used 5% honey malt in an IPA recently and that was the upper limit for sweetness for me.

OP, I recommend a grain bill more like this:

6lb 2-row
.5lb honey (since you said you had it)
.25lb honey malt

with 82% efficiency that looks like 1.069 OG

For the hops I'd bitter with Bravo and save the citra for the dry hop. Something like this:

.5oz Bravo @ 60 (48 IBU)
.5oz Sorachi Ace @ 10 (15 IBU)
.5oz Sorachi Ace @ 0
1oz Cascade @ 0
1oz Citra @ Dry hop
1oz Cascade @ Dry hop
1oz Sorachi Ace @ Dry hop

Back