Need Advice on Installing a Through-Wall Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peabodybass

Reaction score
My parents are doing a complete renovation on their basement and I convinced them to have a kegerator (and I will supply the homebrew :rockin:).

There are planning on building a bar and my Dad is keen on mounting the tap/faucet on the wall behind the bar, like this:
wall_faucet.jpg

The wall would be standard stud/drywall and lead to a shop room, so there is plenty of space.

I figure the refigerator will go in this second room. How do you keep the beer line cold? I've only ever extended the cooling range using PVC and it was vertical only (no turns). Do you use flexible ducts? Do you need to use a stronger fan?

I didn't see anything in a forum search, but feel free to direct me to an existing post. Thanks.

The easiest relative route would probably a wide piece of PVC that could accommodate both lines and allow you to push cold air up from the fridge to keep them cool. Although I think that could lead to condensation issues and loss of energy by losing a bunch of cold air from the fridge.

The better ( read: more complicated ) method would be a tub of water or glycol in the fridge with a suitable submersible pump to run the coolant up the line and back in a loop. Then you could just insulate the pipe with the loop and beer lines in it.

There is some flexibility, but not far (the fridge can be placed adjacent to the other side of the back wall). If a smaller dorm-type fridge is used, probably 3' vertical and then 8" through the wall (it's a double wall to encompass a post). If a larger fridge is used, then the vertical distance would be less.

Back