Need advice for CO2 tank and regulator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsSchindee

Reaction score
I've been bottling ever since I've started home brewing, and will eventually switch to kegging, but not quite yet...
That being said, I'm thinking my next upgrade to my process/system will be a CO2 tank, to use (only, initially) for blanketing carboys and bottling buckets when transferring to reduce O2 and eventual oxidation in my beer. Then, eventually I'd use it as part of a kegging system (kegerator/keezer/etc) once I want to go that route.

Any recommendations for tank size, regulator, and anything else to do this? Would it be better to use a sintered stone in the end of the tube (like I do for O2
- I use the small red Benzomatic tubes for that) to bubble it into the wort or beer, or just a length of tubing to push the CO2 on top of the wort/beer to blanket it?

Thanks for any tips or recommendations!

I primarily use my 20# tanks for beer stuff. Over the years I have acquired 5#, 10# and 20# aluminum tanks and the 20# get used the most. I buy them of craigslist for cheap or part of packages of gear and then sell the rest of the stuff.

Skip the sintered stone. You'll want to disturb the beer as little as possible in the carboy. "blanketing the co2" will work for a short time but the best thing is a little headspace as possible once primary fermentation is complete. You can also look at fermenting in sanke kegs and that way you could transfer under pressure to a co2 purged vessel. That would be a great use for co2 in the meantime. It would also help keep oxidation under control.

I ferment in a stainless vessel and at the end of fermentation I close it off and let the pressure build for a few psi. I then transfer with co2 to a co2 purged keg. Reducing the oxygen that the beer is exposed to during post-fermentation transfers has greatly improved my beer quality.

How much co 2 is need in keg before you transfer our beer

Transfer beer into or out of the keg? If you are purging then it take several times of filling the keg with co2 and letting it out. Atmospheric o2 content is approximately 20.8% so theoretically each time you purge you cut that number in half. Real world you would need some fancy instrumentation to figure out how much o2 is left. You will not purge out all the o2.

The amount of co2 it takes to start pushing beer is very little. I push beer around with 2-3 psi usually. Sometimes as much as 5psi but that is not as common.

Any size will be ok. I use a 20# tank for just about everything. I keep a 5# tank for portability.

Check craigslist for used tanks. Don't bother buying a new one. Most places swap tanks, not refill... So you'll end up with a used tank anyways.

For a regulator, I always recommend the Taprite's with the large red knob. Durable, reliable, and super easy to work with. You can usually find them new on eBay for reasonable prices. Cheaper than the overpriced "beer" websites...

:mug:

Any size will be ok. I use a 20# tank for just about everything. I keep a 5# tank for portability.

Check craigslist for used tanks. Don't bother buying a new one. Most places swap tanks, not refill... So you'll end up with a used tank anyways.

For a regulator, I always recommend the Taprite's with the large red knob. Durable, reliable, and super easy to work with. You can usually find them new on eBay for reasonable prices. Cheaper than the overpriced "beer" websites...

:mug:

After using a few different makes of regulator the only brand I will continue to collect is Taprite. I had a plastic knob strip out and I emailed customer service. They asked for my address and a couple days later I had a brand new knob free of charge. Great service and extremely reliable regulators. I have a fleet of taprites now. :D

Thanks for the responses, all. Sounds like a Taprite regulator and a 20# used tank are in my future! No sintered stone...

With the Taprite, I assume that eventually I can add a manifold to it when I eventually want to start kegging? I.e. That's my best option now for CO2 blanketing, but to be able to use for kegging in the future? Thanks...

Thanks for the responses, all. Sounds like a Taprite regulator and a 20# used tank are in my future! No sintered stone...

With the Taprite, I assume that eventually I can add a manifold to it when I eventually want to start kegging? I.e. That's my best option now for CO2 blanketing, but to be able to use for kegging in the future? Thanks...

Yep. Now start saving for kegs (used on cl about $50) and some nice ss Perlicks!

Careful, keg ownership is an addiction. Every time you see one for a great price, you'll find a way to buy it. You'll convince yourself you have to have it. Its true though... You need it. Lol!
:ban:

Transfer beer into or out of the keg? If you are purging then it take several times of filling the keg with co2 and letting it out. Atmospheric o2 content is approximately 20.8% so theoretically each time you purge you cut that number in half. Real world you would need some fancy instrumentation to figure out how much o2 is left. You will not purge out all the o2.

The amount of co2 it takes to start pushing beer is very little. I push beer around with 2-3 psi usually. Sometimes as much as 5psi but that is not as common.

Thanks for the response
I saw a guy transfer his beer into the key trough the out cornnection
had the lid closed the co 2 valve open and was wondering if or how much co2
that should be in the keg

Latest posts

Back