Need a straight answer - priming 2 liter soda bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anon8

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need a quick answer on how much sugar to use for priming 2 liter pop bottles.

I'm not going to be batch priming, the sugar will be going directly into the bottles. The sugar used will be your simple everyday white granulated sugar.

I've been trying to search the forums (search bar and scrolling thru the many pages of the bottling subforum..) with no luck on finding a definitive answer on this. Likely, because most people have nicer bottles and prime differently.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Well, I use 180-190g in a 23L brew, so 16.5 g I guess the real question is how many teaspoons is that?
According to Coopers, you should use 8g per liter and a rounded teaspoon is approximately 6g so 2 3/4 rounded teaspoons (maybe 3 level teaspoons)

These calculations are for dextrose, I have never used plain white sugar and don't know if there is a difference in conversion.

generally i use 2 tablespoons per mini keg. 1-3 is the general range for the mini's, depending on desired carb level, fg, temp, head space, etc.

for 2 liters I'd say around a tablespoon, maybe less

It depends on what level of carbonation you're after and how much CO2 is already in the beer. The package you're putting it in is not significant.

Just use a priming calculator like this.

awesome thanks guys, using the calc i'm getting around 28.6 grams per 2 liter volume which is pretty close to a table spoon.

Thanks guys!

I was trying to use the priming calculator yesterday.. but i guess it was too late at night because i couldn't quite figure it out.

I don't know what my residual co2 levels are, but i believe i've read that isn't really an integral piece of info for carbing your beer..

The temperature of the beer is used to estimate the residual CO2. According to the KotMF calculator:
60ºF = ~.99 volumes
72ºF = ~.81 volumes
etc...

Back