Need a "stiffener" or stints in the insulation on my cooler/mashtun. Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockwise

Reaction score
I've been trying to get this thing right for a bit now. Almost there I hope.

I'm sure some of you ran into this problem before. I'm inserting 1/2" pipe through the insulated plastic double wall, but I need to tighten the internal nut, washer and silicone pretty tight to get a good seal. Problem is, more I tighten, the more it bends, even by hand. Very flimsy.

I've tried searching around a little bit, but I couldnt find any plausible suggestions. Are there any sprayable hard foams out there that would work? The only other thing I can think of is putting some sort of crescent shaped stints in there, but that sounds like a pain. Maybe concrete? :confused:

Use a holesaw to cut a bigger hole in the outer wall so that you're snugging up your fittings against the outer and inner surfaces of the inner wall.

Good advice. This is what I did and it works great. Just make sure you put a good tight washer on the inside so it doesn't leak.

Another option is to remove the foam b/w the cooler walls locally to the fitting and replace with epoxy putty or bondo type two part filler.

A third option is to use an oversized sleeve of PVC pipe over the steel bulkhead.

Back