Need a recommendation: Good long stem thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerraNova

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered but I am looking for a reasonably priced, long stem (11 inches or longer) thermometer. I would prefer digital but a dial is fine as well as long as it is accurate. The ones I am seeing at brewing supply houses tend to have 8" or shorter stems.

Any suggestions? I have not found a good one for brewing that is long enough.

Many turkey fryers come with ones that go from 150–550º in 5 degree increments so this wouldn't really work for maintaining accurate mash temps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reasonably priced and digital don't usually go together. Same with dial and accurate. We recommend buying a dial to get an approx value and spending some money on a good digital probe thermo.

Thanks. I saw both of these but as you stated, the stems aren't very long. No long enough for what I am looking for.

I am reconfiguring my system where I need to move my thermometer from it's standard side of the pot port. I am planning on plugging the old port and measuring temps via the top opening of the pot. The turkey fryer style that clip onto the top rim of the pot is ideal but as I stated above, the measurements are in 5 degree increments on many that I have seen (and the ones that have a more usable dial have terrible user reviews).

Is there such an animal out there? Somewhere?

Apologies if this has been covered but I am looking for a reasonably priced, long stem (11 inches or longer) thermometer. I would prefer digital but a dial is fine as well as long as it is accurate. The ones I am seeing at brewing supply houses tend to have 8" or shorter stems.

Any suggestions? I have not found a good one for brewing that is long enough.

Many turkey fryers come with ones that go from 150–550º in 5 degree increments so this wouldn't really work for maintaining accurate mash temps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This one comes in a 12" or 24" version. I use the 12" in my MLT and it is on par with my thermapen. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

Thanks, I knew there had to be something out there that I just couldn't find.

And thanks for the rec, stating that it was on par with a known product like the Thermapen, well, that's what I needed to hear.

Thanks again.

Back