Need a priming sugar for today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
So I really need to bottle a pale ale today and my brew shop is closed. I don't have any more priming sugar and I'm out of dry malt extract.

Is there something BESIDES table sugar that I can find at the grocery store to use for today? Is priming sugar something you can buy at a normal store under a different name? Is it just corn sugar?? I just don't like the idea of using regular table sugar.

Suggestions??

If you search, you'll find that you can use a number of fermentable items for priming....though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using table sugar IMHO.

OK, so I'm going to go with table sugar. It's a Pale Ale and it calls for 3.8 oz. of corn sugar. So how much table sugar should I use. In cups not ozs.
Thanks.

corn sugar: 4 oz

cane sugar: 3.7 oz
brown sugar: 4
molasses/treacle: 7.8
candi sugar: 3.7
lyles golden syrup: 4.5
maple syrup: 5.5
honey: 4.7

Out of these I would use honey, it ferments out really fast and doesn't leave any flavor.

corn sugar: 4 oz

cane sugar: 3.7 oz
brown sugar: 4
molasses/treacle: 7.8
candi sugar: 3.7
lyles golden syrup: 4.5
maple syrup: 5.5
honey: 4.7

Out of these I would use honey, it ferments out really fast and doesn't leave any flavor.

And even if it does leave a flavor, it will taste good in a pale ale.

So if I use 4.7 oz. of honey that's just over 1/2 a cup right? That's enough for a 5 gallon batch? Also, what do I do to sanitize the honey. Same as sugar, boil it with water. Sorry for basic questions, just haven't done it this way before and I want to get started in a few minutes. We're just talking regular old Clover Honey right?

So if I use 4.7 oz. of honey that's just over 1/2 a cup right? That's enough for a 5 gallon batch? Also, what do I do to sanitize the honey. Same as sugar, boil it with water. Sorry for basic questions, just haven't done it this way before and I want to get started in a few minutes. We're just talking regular old Clover Honey right?

I'm not sure about the volume/weight conversion hold on

So 2/3 cup of Domino sugar will also do the trick right? Is cane sugar the same as table sugar. the package I bought at the grocery store says cane?

I bet your beer would taste better if you waited another week to bottle, and got some more DME or corn sugar...

I guess I'm just confused. I've read so many posts that say that using white table sugar won't effect the taste because it's such a small amount and then others that say you will taste a difference.

What is the majority opinion on this?

So 2/3 cup of Domino sugar will also do the trick right? Is cane sugar the same as table sugar. the package I bought at the grocery store says cane?

That'll work. you want a tad less cane sugar than corn sugar so 2/3c (8/12) cane sugar is about = to 3/4c (9/12) corn sugar.

Because I'm headed out of town. It's today or in 3 weeks and I want to drink it when I get back.

I don't believe that priming with table (cane) sugar will affect the taste of the beer at all - it's just such a small amount compared to the batch. Using it as a significant part of the fermentable sugar in the recipe will, though. I've used it for priming with no trouble.

I carbed 2 batches with table sugar. I won't ever use it again. The 2nd was bottled before the first was ready to drink. They were both way over carbed. They also both came out with a weird (bad) taste after conditioning that just got worse over time. The bad taste may have had nothing to do with the sugar. But I have to believe the severe carbonation did. I'm sure you could use less. I used the same amount as if I was using bottling Sugar. I then switched back to corn sugar for my next batch. Carb level and flavor was back to spot on. All equipment was the same. Like i said, the bad (moldy) taste may have had nothing to do with the sugar, could have been from over carbonating so much, or could have been infections, but it wasn't present in any previous batches or the batch after using all the same equipment.

Back