Need a little help with IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolinenowait

Reaction score
I originally wanted to create a Belgian IPA that was a very approachable a "Gateway IPA". My original Mosaic, Citra combo I think will work better with a tradition IPA yeast instead of trying to make it a Belgian to make it not as bitter/dry. This is my second attempt at a Belgian IPA. I'm looking to create a an IPA with some tropical fruit/berry flavors from my hops and a slight mint taste from Perle. I think with the white wine flavors from Nelson this could be really good. What are your thoughts?

Malt/Grains:
2lbs Pilsner Malt
1lb Cara-Crystal
1lb Munich 2
.5 lb Flaked Oats
6lbs Light DME

Boil:
60 Minutes – .5oz Nelson
20 Minute - .5oz Perle
5 Minute 1 oz Pacific Gem, 1 Motueka
Dry Hop 1 oz Motueka, .1 oz pacific gem , .5oz Nelson

Yeast:
WL550

While I haven't used Motueka or Pacific Gem, I create similar flavors/aromas using an IIPA recipe which I pitch with WLP550 (Belgian Ale) then a day later, pitch again with WLP001 (California Ale). It has the mild, fruity esters common in a Belgian along with the hoppiness of an American IPA.

I got the idea from Green Flash's Le Freak in This article, and experimented.

WLP575 (Belgian Style Ale) looks like it would work well for creating "Belgian Styles" with other beers.

I'm definitely interested in hearing your results…

marckw that sounds like a great idea. The beer above will probably only have an abv of about 6.5%. I look forward to hearing how the recipe with WLP575 comes out. Would you make any changes to my above recipe?

You said that you want to create a dryer beer ... that being, I'd tone down the cara-pils a bit as the dextrine will leave your beer a bit maltier. Of course, if you want to add some funk, you can add some brett, which will gobble up those dextrines and proteins from the flaked oats. That'll dry things out for you. Kick your fermentation temp up a bit also to get some of the fruity esters from your yeast.

It seems you've given this recipe some thought, so you obviously have some specific expectations of the beer.

mrboz hit on the maltiness of cara/crystal, but other than that, brew it and see if it's what you expected.

As long as it's balanced to your taste, that's what counts.

You said that you want to create a dryer beer ... that being, I'd tone down the cara-pils a bit as the dextrine will leave your beer a bit maltier. Of course, if you want to add some funk, you can add some brett, which will gobble up those dextrines and proteins from the flaked oats. That'll dry things out for you. Kick your fermentation temp up a bit also to get some of the fruity esters from your yeast.

I thought about adding some brett. I'm hoping to get a good balance of flavors here. I will keep the board updated with both my IPA's. They should be good.

Back