Need a HoneyBrown Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginbrewman

Reaction score
I am definately new (1batch) which turned out very well with some helpfull coaching. I recently made a blue moon clone and now i am looking for a malt extract honey brown similar to dundees honey brown. thanks in advance for any advice and this has been a blast so far. I think I have had as much fun with people tasting as I have drinking it myself. Thanks again

I don't have beersmith on this computer, but here goes.
I'd say something along the lines of:

3.3 lbs. Light malt extract.
3 lbs Honey
1 lb. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
8oz. Honey Malt

I'd use Willamette or Northern Brewer hops. An ounce at each of 60, 20 and 5 minutes.

I just pulled this recipe out of my butt while browsing the unanswered threads, hopefully someone can take this and roll with it. This is not a clone of Dundees, I've never had it, but it should be an OK honey brown.

I don't have beersmith on this computer, but here goes.
I'd say something along the lines of:

3.3 lbs. Light malt extract.
3 lbs Honey
1 lb. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
8oz. Honey Malt

I'd use Willamette or Northern Brewer hops. An ounce at each of 60, 20 and 5 minutes.

I just pulled this recipe out of my butt while browsing the unanswered threads, hopefully someone can take this and roll with it. This is not a clone of Dundees, I've never had it, but it should be an OK honey brown.

That looks good, but I would cut down on the honey. Honey is fully fermentable and will dry out there beer without giving much honey flavor. 8 oz. of honey malt will give a significant honey flavor to your beer. I wouldn't us more than 1 lb. of honey.

If you want simple to use yeast, Safale US-05 or 04 yeast would be fine for a brown ale. I havn't used 04, but its supposed to be more english ale in flavor, which would fit with a brown quite nice. I have used us-05 on both batches I have brewed, and both had good strong fermentation. 05 leaves a neutral taste, 04 is said to leave fruity esters like english ales/brown ales typically have. 05 is great for low temp fermentation, my first American Wheat averaged 60 degrees wort temp...and it is DELICIOUS!

I might suggest Tettnanger for Aroma/Flavoring hop if you want to compliment the honey flavor.

I agree with Frink - 3.3# of Honey is just too much. 2# is usually the most that is used for something like a Honey Wheat (when you have like 6# of other malt). 1# Sounds right.

I might do something like:
6.6# Amber Malt Extract Syrup
1# Honey
4oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Black Roasted Malt
2oz Cascade Hops (60 min)
1oz Tettnang Hops (1 min)

Back