NEED a grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusizhuo

Reaction score
When do you really need a grain mill? Is it standard AG equipment? I am getting equipment together to do all grain brewing from pale malt barley and am just wondering if this is required equipment.

Gusizhuo said:
When do you really need a grain mill? Is it standard AG equipment? I am getting equipment together to do all grain brewing from pale malt barley and am just wondering if this is required equipment.

No, you can order pre-crushed from anywhere. But after a few batches where you see you efficiency in the 50's or 60's, you'll get angry, do some research and find out that a grain mill will fix the problems. Plus, it's so damned cool to mill your own grain right before mashing.

I would say the only time you need a grain mill is if your LHBS either doesn't crush grain for you (or wherever you buy your ingredients) or they do a horrible job crushing it (over crushing causing stuck sparges or under crushing causing low efficiency).

If you are just starting out with AG try your first couple of batches with the grains being crushed for you at time of purchase. If you end up with either of the two conditions mentioned above consistently it's time to start looking at getting your own mill.

Cheesefood said:
No, you can order pre-crushed from anywhere. But after a few batches where you see you efficiency in the 50's or 60's, you'll get angry, do some research and find out that a grain mill will fix the problems. Plus, it's so damned cool to mill your own grain right before mashing.

I'm going through this right now. I added 2# of 2-row to both batches that I did over the weekend and I still missed my target gravities by 1 and 2 points respectively. My LHBS crush is killing me.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to suffer through it for a while longer. I just blew my wad on kegging gear so a mill is going to have to wait a few months.

I consistantly get 78-82% effiency with a $15 Corona type mill, so you don't have to spend a lot. Would I like a Crankenstein or Barleycrusher, hell yes, but is it going to raise my % that much, hell no.

I get pre-crushed grain from the local brewpub(s). I usually hit around 70% efficiency with my setup. I was gonna get a mill, but I bought kegging equipment instead. Buying in bulk is the $hit :rockin:

Required equipment? absolutely not

Here's the bottom line for me:
Reduced costs.
fresher grains.
increased efficiency.

Group purchases of grain can cut your grain bill $ in half. So over the long term it can save you money.

Freshness is an issue for me. Milled grain should be brewed fairly quickly. I often found that I'd be unable to brew after buying the grain. So I'd have to refridgerate it (often for weeks) to keep it as fresh as possible. Not the end of the world but certainly a hassle and brewing youself is all about taste and freshness.

I think my LHBS is more concerned with not having a stuck sparge than the efficeint extraction of sugars.

I have to call in to my LHBS a day in advance because he crushes at home and brings it to the store. in some ways its nice to know its only been crushed 18 hours.

on the other hand, when I forget to call, or decide to brew too late...I can't brew.

if you have a collection of specialty grains on-hand (which seems to just 'happen' when you go AG), and some hops on hand...if you can crush your base malt on the spot, you can brew anytime you like.

so its probably more of a convenience than a necessity.

My LHBS has two corona type mills there that you can use to crush your own grain. That's what I have been doing. I go on Friday night buy and crush the grain abd brew on Saturday. I have almost got enough "extra" cash set aside to by a barleycrusher. So maybe after the newyear I'll pick one up. It would be nice to crush it at home with a drill and not my arm.

Cheesefood said:

This is the truth. My LHBS has a mill available to crush grains and it seems to be set just about perfectly. I think I'm spoiled with the crush I get. Unfortunately, they're only open Wed. through Sun. and are 35-40 minutes away, which means I have to plan out my shopping trip in advance. No spontaneous brewing.

On a lark I ordered crushed grains from one of the big online homebrew shops. When the package arrived I had to call to confirm that grain actually was crushed. It didn't look anything like the grain I'm used to seeing from the LHBS. I was told, "Well, they really only need to be cracked. If there is grain dust, it's crushed. Go ahead and use it." I did -- 54% efficiency. To be fair, when I called back they did offer to replace the grains. I just got the replacement package and was planning on brewing today. Unfortunately, the replacement grain looks exactly like the previous batch. It's Tuesday, so the local place is closed. Brew day canceled.

Anyone have any experience with the JSP (Schmidling) Malt Mill? That's what they use -- and more importantly carry -- at my local shop.

Chad

Chad said:
Anyone have any experience with the JSP (Schmidling) Malt Mill? That's what they use -- and more importantly carry -- at my local shop.

Chad

I'm pretty sure this is what my shop uses as well. I have gotten as high as 78%. Last batch I hit 67%.

I just bought a JSP, and also learned on another JSP, and they're pure fantastic. I have the non-adjustable model, and saw about 80% efficiency on the last 2 brews. It's probably higher than that, but I'm using a home-rigged CPVC manifold, and i'm pretty sure that i have bad water channeling.

I bought mine on my 3rd brew, because I don't ever plan to quit the hobby, and don't want to justify the $1/lb charge from my lhbs (I think that's what it is) or the extra $0.35 from northern brewer on precrushed.

Also I plan to step up to bulk grain purchases within the next 6 months, so it was planning ahead for me.

JSP Maltmill's have a lifetime warranty, by the way.

niquejim said:
I consistantly get 78-82% effiency with a $15 Corona type mill, so you don't have to spend a lot. Would I like a Crankenstein or Barleycrusher, hell yes, but is it going to raise my % that much, hell no.

is this right?

hopsalot said:
is this right?

Maybe - I always heard the problems with corona mills were OVER crush, not under. That would result in good eff's with the occasional stuck sparge on gooey-type grist.

I wanted a Corona type, but the JSP was the only in town, and i needed it that day (or canceled brew!)

Anyone else know more?

I get mid to high 80's with my Porkert (corona-style) mill and I love it. It goes through 6KG of grain in about 4 minutes. You do need to take your time getting the gap set, but once you do it works great. I think I used about 1KG of grain to get it set just the way I wanted and it hasn't needed adjustment since.

For less than $50CDN it was a great deal (though I got it for Christmas for free :D). I do plan to upgrade to a monster mill at some point in 2008 but I'm in no hurry.

niquejim said:

Quote from hopsalot

is this right?

It took me a few months to dial in my system( correct crush,ph etc.) But my last 10 or so batches I haven't gotten below 78%.:rockin:

Now if your question was whether i would like a fancy mill.............................................................................I'll have to stick with.........Hell Yes:mug:

I have one LHBS (15-20 min drive) that charges $0.10/lb to mill the grains, and you have to call a day ahead for anythng more than 5#. They're only open Tues-Sat, and I have a tough time getting there before they close on weekdays.

My other LHBS (25-30 min drive) also charges $0.10/lb to crush the grains...AND you have to do the crushing yourself. You might say "great, control over the crush is worth 10 cents a pound"...but they won;t let you adjust the mill.

So I got a Crankandstein. An initial batch at 78 eff with the factory settings; then a 60-ish eff when I was too stupid to understand the very simple adjustment. Since then: 90, 80, 82, 95, 84, 90, 92. I just keep cranking it down tighter and tighter, thinking one day I'll stick a sparge and learn my lesson...nothing stuck so far.

Economy and convenience of bulk grain purchases, plus control over the crush...I'd have to say the mill is (if not absolutely necessary) one of my favorite brewing investments.

For those that have a barley crusher what is the setting you have it at? I started another thread in All-Grain but no one seems to respond.

- WW

Willie3 said:
For those that have a barley crusher what is the setting you have it at? I started another thread in All-Grain but no one seems to respond.

- WW

Mine's the factory setting and is just fine.

I think any of the mills mentioned - JSP, C&S, BC - will all give you good results. I love my BC, but they all will do a good job, IMO.

I sell mills. I feel the most important reason to own one is if you can't get a good crush from your local shop. We had a store here in Atl that had a maltmill, but they just wouldn't adjust it. One time you'd get a good crush, and another it would be bad. The shop owner didn't want to mess with it. :( He's out of business now, and I think that this is only one of the reasons. If you can't get at least a consistent crush from your shop, your brewing will always suffer. Even if they under crush, but do it consistently the same, it works out OK. You can at least have an idea of what your efficiency will be. If you can't get a good consistent crush from your local shop, tell them that they need to invest in a good mill, and demand that they pay attention to what they're doing if they already have a good mill. I give a 15% discount to any shop that asks about a mill for their shop to crush customer grains, even if they aren't going to sell our mills. It just makes sense. Consistency is the key.

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Ok, it is clear to me that I need one in my situation. So I am thinking about making one with concrete rollers. Would two 4 inch rollers be sufficient?

When i was new to brewing i bought a used Marga mill (Italian, i think it is only sold in EU). It was cheap and did not tear up the husks, but it also took painful long time to crush for a brew (30 mins for grains to brew 5 gal.) That meant 30 mins holding the drill to mill the grains - i had enough of it and bought a C&S 3D.

I built a setup where it is mounted with the drill on a plate. I used a pound or so to dial it in and i am looking forward to my first brew with that mill. From what i saw when adjusting it, i think crushing can now be done in 3-5 mins unattended.

Having my own quality mill will pay for itself in the longer run....
I buy base grans in 25 kg sacks (50#) and i save 43%
I buy the often used specialty grains in 5kg (10#) portions and i save 17%
I buy my leser used grains in 1 kg (2#) portions.

The economic upside:
That way i can easily save 4-5$ per brew.
Mill setup will pay for it self in <100 brews.

The practical upside:
I can buy cheap grains in bulk.
I can have fresh grai in stock and not worry when to brew.
My grains will not degrade if my brewing get delayed.
I decide how i want my grains crushed.

just my 2c

bradsul said:
I get mid to high 80's with my Porkert (corona-style) mill and I love it. It goes through 6KG of grain in about 4 minutes. You do need to take your time getting the gap set, but once you do it works great. I think I used about 1KG of grain to get it set just the way I wanted and it hasn't needed adjustment since.

For less than $50CDN it was a great deal (though I got it for Christmas for free :D).quote]

Yeah, me too. I don't plan on getting another as I'm quite satisified with my mill. I get consistant 75 - 80% with my Porkert and I could go higher if I made more flour.

Gusizhuo said:
Ok, it is clear to me that I need one in my situation. So I am thinking about making one with concrete rollers. Would two 4 inch rollers be sufficient?
Unless you are far better building stuff than I am you are going to have trouble making the mill from concrete rollers. Also powering the mill will either burn up a few motors or leave you with gigantic forearms.
I ordered a monster mill, should be here this week. $99 US + $38 shipping. I just need to make the hopper and mount it on something. Other mill makers will also ship to you, but the bulkier the more expensive.
good luck!

Gusizhuo said:

Would you mind filling in you profile a little more, so that at least your location shows up in your posts. I know you're overseas, but many aren't getting that right away, and it might help you to get better replies?

Just a suggestion/request,
Matt

ok, I added some details, I am from Taiwan, I can buy imported malt barley from a local brewery, but it looks like I am stuck roasting/milling my own

I got myself a Barley Crusher, the adjustable one, one and have found that it makes my brew days a little more enjoyable. in fact once I attached my drill to it everything has been even better. No more PUMPED forearms and wasted time.

Now I bought the adjustable, but probably didn't need to, but figured I had better have the ability to change my settings if I should want to get a good crush on various other malts other than barley. I did modify my setting for a HIGH wheat beer and got a very good, 80%+, efficiency. Otherwise it remains set at the regular crush setting that are marked on the body.

I have used all three at one time or another and found that there are very little in the way of differences in the top 3. Just depend on what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

Gusizhuo said:
ok, I added some details, I am from Taiwan, I can buy imported malt barley from a local brewery, but it looks like I am stuck roasting/milling my own
Thanks for filling that info in on your profile, I think it'll help people to understand your predicament better.

A mill in not necessary but it is a nice addition to your brewery.
1. you can adjust the mill to get your desired crush and usually improve your efficiency.
2. you can crush right before you brew to ensure maximum grain freshness no matter what you schedule for getting to the HBS.
3. you can keep a stock of uncrushed grains allowing you to make recipes and brew at you leisure without a trip to the HBS.
4. you can buy grains in bulk saving money. Ofcourse it takes quite a few batches before you can show a positive balance from the cost of the mill.
I bought a grain mill, 55# of Maris Otter, several 5# bags of speciality grains, some bulk hops, and several packs of dry yeast. Now I'm good to brew 4+ batches of my favorite styles on my schedule without another trip to the HBS.
Craig Baker

Ok, so since I am in Taiwan and my only access to grain is in the bulk unmilled form, I need a mill.

If I am going for PVC molded concrete rollers, would two unknurled rollers of 4 inches each be sufficient?

Latest posts

Back