Near Disaster Averted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfries

Reaction score
We had a small disaster averted today thanks to homebrew.

The main pipe from our well enters the house in our utility room. In this room is a series of valves as well as our pressure tank. This morning, we heard a strange sound coming for the room. When I went in to investigate, I found water all over the floor. One of the copper pipes developed a pin sized hole and was shooting a stream of water out at 70psi, hitting the boxes of canning jars on the other side of the room.

So, I went to turn off the main valve and it was not working. Could not shut off the main water. Killed the power to the pump and opened the relief drain valve which thankfully worked. Now as a result of being a homebrewer, we have an assortment of hose clamps and hoses. I was able to cut a small strip off of the immersion chiller exit hose and wrap that around the pipe and clamp it down.

So far this is holding well.

Why does stuff like this always seem to happen on holidays?

Happy Thanksgiving to All:mug:

Crazy- looks like a plumber is in your future.

I have an extra 20 valves on my water supply where there must have been a softener at one time.

Back