NB Sierra Madre Pale Ale - NO HEAD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filipmitev

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First time brewer here... I bought an NB starter kit with Bavarian Hefeweizen, Sierra Madre Pale Ale and American Wheat. I brewed the first two and they came out good but have no head... What can be the issue? :confused::confused:

Thank you!
Filip

Hi Guys,

First time brewer here... I bought an NB starter kit with Bavarian Hefeweizen, Sierra Madre Pale Ale and American Wheat. I brewed the first two and they came out good but have no head... What can be the issue? :confused::confused:

Thank you!
Filip

Many things could be wrong....Did you use priming sugar at bottling? If so, how much? Did you use glass bottles with a capper or a plastic soda 2-liter? How long did you let the beer sit at room temp before placing it in the fridge? How long has it been since bottling date?

Do you wash your glassware in the dishwasher that had an anti-spotting agent like Jet Dri? Did your bottles get thoroughly rinsed before you filled them. Any trace of detergent will kill the head on your beer whether it is in the glass or bottle.

Many things could be wrong....Did you use priming sugar at bottling? If so, how much? Did you use glass bottles with a capper or a plastic soda 2-liter? How long did you let the beer sit at room temp before placing it in the fridge? How long has it been since bottling date?

Yes, I did. The kit came with priming sugar caps and I put one per bottle. I used brown glass bottles and let the beer sit at room temp for two weeks before refrigerating it. It has been a little over a month since I bottled it.

I also sanitized everything with the kit sanitizer that came in with the kit - it is a non-rinse, hold-for-two-minutes sanitizer.

I am suspecting the caps...

Well, it is my first time and you're right - the worst thing still is that I have beer....

Take the refrigerated ones out of the cold, warm then back up, and swirl the yeast up. Give them another week or two of warm temps, 70-75 degrees. See if it helps. Those carb tabs can take a long time to dissolve, so the sugar might not have been in solution long enough for the yeast to make the co2. Is the beer carbonated at all?

Also - Your glassware is important. If you have soap residue, or rinse aid from a dishwasher on them you will have head retention problems.

Take the refrigerated ones out of the cold, warm then back up, and swirl the yeast up. Give them another week or two of warm temps, 70-75 degrees. See if it helps. Those carb tabs can take a long time to dissolve, so the sugar might not have been in solution long enough for the yeast to make the co2. Is the beer carbonated at all?

Also - Your glassware is important. If you have soap residue, or rinse aid from a dishwasher on them you will have head retention problems.

No, not so much. When I opened the bottle, it hissed but pouring it there was no carbonation...

Thanks for the tip! I did not wash the bottles in the dishwasher and make sure to soak them in the sanitizer thoroughly.

I didn't mean the bottles, I was referring to the glass you were drinking from.

What's the name of the sanitizer from the kit, one step?

Easy Clean looks to be just a cleaner. Use the Star San! Also, don't fear the foam.

Back