NB Sierra Madre Pale Ale extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubybrew

Reaction score
I've got my Caribou Slobber in the bottle tonight and am thinking of brewing up the Sierra Madre Pale Ale tomorrow.

Any tips, advice or cautions for this extract kit from NB?

What boil temp should I target?

Water boils at 212 degrees at sea level. Wort may not vary at all but certainly not more than a degree or two. The only way to make it hotter would require a pressure vessel.

For steeping grains, I start when the water is heated a little above hot tap water and continue heating on high until 20 minutes or 170 degrees. The time and temperature have always come together at about even for me. Then remove the grains and start the boil.

Cool the wort to the low end of the yeasts optimum range and try to keep it there throughout the active fermentation or longer.

Bottle condition for at least 2 weeks minimum near 70 degrees, try one. If they are not ready wait another week, try one. If they are not ready wait another week. I have had some that were carbonated at 2 weeks, all of them tasted better after 3 weeks.

Back