NB Honey Kolsch boring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nooby

Reaction score
I haven't brewed this beer yet, but I'm a little concerned about it. I ordered an extract kit from Northern Brewer and......lo and behold......an all extract kit arrives.

"Duhhhh, what do I do with this" I stupidly ask myself.

I haven't made an all extract kit yet (6# Gold malt syrup and 1# honey--no other fermentables). Should I just follow the instructions, or head off to my LHBS and buy some grains to steep?

I don't doubt Northern Brewer---their Irish Red is amazing and it only went to bottles yesterday. I worry that this kit is a bit too "Mr. Beer" to turn out great. Obviously I'm a stuck-up beer snob, but am I right? Anyone???? Bueller?

A kolsch is kind of boring, but in a good way. Most kolsch don't have a lot of extra junk in them, they are the quintessential lawnmower beer. Fire it off as is, you might be surprised.

Or you could add a lot of junk and then it wouldn't be a kolsch.

Koelsch doesn't usually have any crystal malts in it. It's pretty much Pilsner malt and hops, maybe with some Vienna or Munich added.

The Golden Malt Extract already contains a percentage of carapils. If you really want to steep, you can recreate the kit next time by substituting Pilsen LME for the Golden LME and steeping some carapils.

?

Back