NB 5 gallon cooler mash tun - plastic smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartbeer81

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got my Northern Brewer 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler mash tun, and am planning on using for the first time this weekend...it has a pretty strong plastic smell though, even after I've rinsed it a couple times with star san and hot water. Is this something that I should worry about affecting the taste of my first batch? Should I clean it with something else beforehand?

Thanks guys!! :)

My coleman cooler did too before my first mash. I heated water to about 180 F and poured it in. The plastic smell grew significantly, however I tasted the water afterword and no plastic taste. Taste is key, not the scent. The smell was replaced by the smell of mash after the first time I used it anyway.

You should definately clean it well first with your brewer's cleaner of choice, I like a 5-10 minute soak with PWB followed by a good rinse. Try the baking soda too.

Good luck

Back