Natural Carbonation vs Forced in a nanobrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatrockbrewing

Reaction score
What do you think is best for a nanobrewery that bills itself as a "farmhouse ale" brewery? Some of our brewery staff are a bit cranky about the amount of time natural carbonation takes and would like to switch to forced. Is there really a difference in taste or mouthfeel with natural carbonation?

Well IMHO saisons, like other Belgians, are much better naturally carbed. I don't recall any outstanding saisons I've had on draft, for example Saison Dupont on draft pales in comparison to the bottled version. There's a reason none of the Trappist breweries force carb, you want that yeasty goodness hanging around. What styles do you make?

Most people can't tell any difference, but some really prefer the supposed smaller bubbles and smoother mouthfeel of natural carbonation. It's really up to you. If it's just a time issue, have you considered just using a spunding valve and cranking it up near the end of fermentation? Thats's what a lot of microbreweries do to naturally carb. Faster than force carbing actually. It does require fermenters or brite tanks rated for the extra pressure though. What kind of fermenters are you using?

German beers including kolsch and altbiers mostly with a few Belgian Trappist ales. I want one carbonation technique in the brewery although I'm not sure natural carbonation is the way to go with lighter styles.

Latest posts

Back