Nasty Looking Swing Top Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paperrain

Reaction score
Hi All, newb here. This is my second batch, and I just popped a bottle open after 2.5 weeks to carb and 2 days in the fridge. Unfortunately, I found that the top looks like the picture attached.

Now, I realize this is probably a problem with my sanitation: this was my first time using swing-tops and probably should have thought through the process (or consulted HBT) a bit more before doing so. That said, this beer didn't taste particularly bad. Theoretically, none of this crap should have traveled down to the beer right?

More importantly, is it safe to drink? Or am I about to really regret finishing a glass of this homebrew?

Thanks in advance!

photo.jpg

You're going to die. Do as much fun stuff as possible within the next 24 hours.

In all seriousness, you should be fine. I'd drink these quickly though before any infection gets too bad. Sanitize better next time.

dfc said:

In all seriousness, you should be fine. I'd drink these quickly though before any infection gets too bad. Sanitize better next time.

Lmao with first part 🍻

Beer is safe to drink. Nothing pathogenic to humans can grow in it. This is why beer gained popularity in the middle ages - water might kill you, but beer was magical, and would not.

It might taste gross, but it won't hurt you.

Next time, sanitize better, you'll be fine. Looks like a little mold/mildew, to me.

dfc said:

Ah, so I should call in sick and brew instead! Too bad 24hrs isn't enough to make drink-ready beer.

Thanks all for the advice! I (and people around me) will drink quickly.

I've collected about 100 of these bottles and been using them for 2 years. I'm brewing 2 - 3 batches a month.
In each 5 gallon batch I use 20 of the swing top bottles. The remainder goes in various 12 and 32 oz glass bottles which I cap.

I replaced a few of the gaskets but find the replacements are not as good as the originals. Most I have never changed and after 2 years they are still great.

I always rinse bottles well immediately after drinking. Then I store till needed. The day before bottling I soak them in oxy-clean overnight in a cooler. On bottling day I run them through my Dishwasher sanitizing cycle. That's it.

Back