Narrow Pot/Wasting Flame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryannecas

Reaction score
I bought a KAB4 to do 15 gallon batches. However, I'm also doing steam injection, and my pressure cooker is just barely wider than the burner. I think this is wasting a lot of flame/energy, which is never a good thing.

I was thinking of putting a larger metal sheet under the pressure cooker to catch more of the flame and improve my efficiency. My questions are:
1) Is this the right approach or did I miss an option?
2) If so, what material should it be made of?
3) Where should I get one?

Thanks in advance for responses!

Pictures would sure help...

Ok, let me rephrase: I'm sure I'm wasting flame around the sides of the pressure cooker. No matter how carefully I position it, there's at least one side leaking a lot of heat. I just need a simple technique for dealing with this. I have a feeling a large aluminum baking pan would be enough, but I'm asking for the forum's experience.

I would think a simple shroud made of galvanized steel and shaped like a cone might help considerably. Above and beyond that, maybe a smaller (el-cheapo turkey fryer) burner might be the best course of action.

Can you fashion something that is the same diameter as the burner that extends up around the sides of your pot? That way it would capture the heat and keep it close to the sides of the pot. If it's possible, it seems like a better idea than the baking pan which would just radiate it out in a different direction.

EDIT: JUST beat me.

Back