NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuesday was very productive towards the final goal of opening the shop and selling Beer and Wine. Paperwork got filed with the ABC and we found some great inexpensive tile for the floor of the shop. Now we wait the 30 days and get the shop ready.

Didn't I just read that somewhere else?
Congrats, Hoss. The waiting, the hardest part.

I totally agree. And yes I did post it on FB. :) Lots to keep us busy in the meantime though. Brewing, labeling, filling bottles, making bottle tags for the 6-packs let alone getting the shop ready. Ripping up carpet and laying down tile. I still need to build a serving counter. Lots to do.

Paperwork got filed with the ABC and we found some great inexpensive tile for the floor of the shop. Now we wait the 30 days and get the shop ready.

I saw that Yuri tiled his brew cave also. How is it going to be cleaning wort off of grout? I know i'm super paranoid about spilling anything but it's nearly unavoidable, i've got some nice wort stains on my garage floor.:)

I saw that Yuri tiled his brew cave also. How is it going to be cleaning wort off of grout? I know i'm super paranoid about spilling anything but it's nearly unavoidable, i've got some nice wort stains on my garage floor.:)

This will be in the actual store and not the brew house so only beer will end up on the floor and I'll try to minimize that by licking up any spills. :D
The brewhouse has a wooden floor that's sealed with garage floor paint so I just hose it off.

a little grout additive with a stain protector goes a long way towards protecting grout, I should know I'm a tile setter.

This really has been a fantastic read, really inspiring as this is exactly what I've always wanted to do, and well its really nice to see a story about a brewery being started without the owner having to spend a million plus dollars

Cheers

a little grout additive with a stain protector goes a long way towards protecting grout, I should know I'm a tile setter.

This really has been a fantastic read, really inspiring as this is exactly what I've always wanted to do, and well its really nice to see a story about a brewery being started without the owner having to spend a million plus dollars

Cheers

Glad you like the thread and I'm learning you really don't have to spend a lot to get started but it does help to have support and a source of information like this site. Makes it easier when you can read the mistakes others have made and learn what works and what doesn't without spending money.

The Tasting room will be right in the middle of downtown Mariposa. It opens Dec 1st but we can't start serving until Dec 17th.

You go Hoss, sounds like a great project you have on hand with things
moving fast, congrats.
That used to be my favorite short motorcycle loop from the S.F.
bay area to Sonora, over the pass down thru Yosemite to Mariposia.
Spend the second night at Mariposia then head back home.
An annual tradition going on 70 years with dad and the bike shops but now with only me. looking forward to getting down to Mariposia, backs on the slow mend this year. Best of success with your Tasting Room and business.

Its a good thing Mariposa isnt that far away from Berkeley or else I would feel like I was missing out on a good thing

Were there ever any health code or ttb issues with the building? I know states vary, but if a backyard shed will pass inspection... Then I may may have to get SWMBO something very nice for Christmas to keep me out of trouble.

Cheers

Or you can go with epoxy. I've used epoxy with great success and would never go back to a regular sanded or unsanded grout in areas likely to stain or be wet consistently (like a backsplash, steam shower, etc)

Were there ever any health code or ttb issues with the building? I know states vary, but if a backyard shed will pass inspection... Then I may may have to get SWMBO something very nice for Christmas to keep me out of trouble.

No issues with the building as long as you're zoned for it. They don't seem to care much about where you brew, only where you serve the beer, that's where I ran into the County Health people. Nothing major it just has to be able to pass a food handling type inspection. It seems the Wine lobby has a lot more pull than the Beer Lobbiests. Wine can be poured over carpet but beer can't. WTH?

So yesterday I ripped up carpet so my brother could put down tile. Today he's putting down tile and he gets a note that there's a restaurant in the town over that wants to sample my beer. Then another person stops by from a restaurant across the street and they want to sample my beer. Then another small bar wants to carry my beer and a "mens organization" called "The Clampers" (Google it) are also interested in my beer. HOLY MALT BEVERAGE Batman!!! I had no idea this town was so thirsty.

So yesterday I ripped up carpet so my brother could put down tile. Today he's putting down tile and he gets a note that there's a restaurant in the town over that wants to sample my beer. Then another person stops by from a restaurant across the street and they want to sample my beer. Then another small bar wants to carry my beer and a "mens organization" called "The Clampers" (Google it) are also interested in my beer. HOLY MALT BEVERAGE Batman!!! I had no idea this town was so thirsty.

That's freakin awesome man. Don't let them go thirsty!! I can only hope that when I go big people will just come knocking at my door. Good luck!

and subscribed. i have to say congratulations. just read the thread, and i'm excited to see the outcome. seems like everything is coming to a great start. prost :tank:

I'm not surprised, people really tend to love local brews, I mean what better way to support your community then to enjoy the things people make there? I would pick a local brewery over a big international one anyday

Since you open on Dec 1, I'm wondering what styles and names you have come up with for your first batches. Given your location, I'm sure there are lots like El Capitan IPA or Giant Sequoia Barley Wine. The National Park Service might have something to say about El Capitan, but I am curious about what you'll be serving.

Well, it's Dec 1 and your open! Wish I could swing by but its a long wet drive.
But if you can't serve until the 17th are you able to sell now?
The Clampers look like a good group to sell to at cost and put big labels on the kegs, maybe give them a keg if they put up a banner of yours or something at their next get together with a large public showing.
Best of luck quenching that thirst.

Well, it's Dec 1 and your open! Wish I could swing by but its a long wet drive.
But if you can't serve until the 17th are you able to sell now?
The Clampers look like a good group to sell to at cost and put big labels on the kegs, maybe give them a keg if they put up a banner of yours or something at their next get together with a large public showing.
Best of luck quenching that thirst.

Not able to sell anything until the 17th. Dec. 1st is just the move in date.
I haven't come up with any catchy names yet.
There's a high class restaurant that I'm scheduled to do a tasting with in January now. I'm getting concerned about keeping up with demand if all the places want my beer who have expressed an interest. I know, horrible position to be in. :cross:

Not able to sell anything until the 17th. Dec. 1st is just the move in date.
I haven't come up with any catchy names yet.
There's a high class restaurant that I'm scheduled to do a tasting with in January now. I'm getting concerned about keeping up with demand if all the places want my beer who have expressed an interest. I know, horrible position to be in. :cross:

sleep... you need none. :p

great job man!

sleep... you need none. :p

great job man!

Ooooooo... Clampers. You are going to be busy.

Congrats on opening!

Thanks you guys. My head is spinning. Here I thought I would be pouring some samples to the occasional tourist and selling a few bottles, now it looks like I may need to fire up the 7bbl system instead. :eek:

Thanks you guys. My head is spinning. Here I thought I would be pouring some samples to the occasional tourist and selling a few bottles, now it looks like I may need to fire up the 7bbl system instead. :eek:

When, or if, you get a chance I think some new pics are in order! :mug: Congrats!

When, or if, you get a chance I think some new pics are in order! :mug: Congrats!

I meant to take pictures of the store as we did the changes but I wasn't able to be there enough to cover it. I will take some pictures though and post them.
Should the 7bbl system come in to play I will make sure and post pictures of it.

7bbl system??!! Dang, did I miss a page?

7bbl system??!! Dang, did I miss a page?

No, you didn't miss anything. I have a 7bbl system that was given to me but I never thought I would ever need it. It's looking like that may change. I just need to figure out where in the heck I'm going to put it. I didn't build my nanobrewery to accommodate that type of production level. I would most likely start out using it as a 4.5 bbl system which gives me 9 kegs. I was told it was always good practice to have 3 kegs/site. 1 in use, 1 ready for use and 1 getting filled. Now depending on how many sites I end up with, will determine to what extent the 7bbl system gets used. Full use would service 5 sites. that's also ~300 lbs of grain per brew session. :eek:

I guess that makes the bulk orders a little easier, huh?

This is really cool. Its fun to read through (for the 3/4 time now).

Bigger is better right? I say go with the 7!

I just may have to turn my whole nanobrewery into one large fermentation room and brew outside. Holy carp, this is getting big.

I meant to take pictures of the store as we did the changes but I wasn't able to be there enough to cover it. I will take some pictures though and post them.
Should the 7bbl system come in to play I will make sure and post pictures of it.

so far from the sounds of it i would have the 7 bbl system set up and ready to go. just in case the demand is much higher than expected of which then would call for a celebration. congrats on the opening and living the dream.

Latest posts

Back