NA beer for my mother in law...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, I know....crack all the jokes you want, but it is in my best interest, to keep my MIL happy, as she allows my wife and I many free nights with sitting for the kiddo. She has said she would like a good beer, and I have up to 1% abv to play with. I have read and mulled a few different methods, but I wanted to open it up to the forum, to see if there are any proven methods, or any good results.

Thanks

This article talks about de-boozifying a brew. In a nutshell, you brew a normal beer and then heat up the batch above the boiling point of ethanol. Hold it there for half an hour, and most all of the alcohol is driven off. If you want to bottle condition, re-pitch yeast after you cool, add priming sugar, and go to town. (This will add about 1/3 to 1/2% ABV to the finished beverage.)

This article talks about de-boozifying a brew. In a nutshell, you brew a normal beer and then heat up the batch above the boiling point of ethanol. Hold it there for half an hour, and most all of the alcohol is driven off. If you want to bottle condition, re-pitch yeast after you cool, add priming sugar, and go to town. (This will add about 1/3 to 1/2% ABV to the finished beverage.)

This seems to be the most popular method. Have you done it? Did you get off flavors? Seems like it would be hard to not get astringent flavors with the reheat. I have read several articles about it, but was fishing for people who have done it.

Thanks for the quick reply,latium.

In Charlie Papazian's book, he recommends holding back some or all of the hops until after fermentation, then adding them when you're boiling off the ethanol. It keeps the bitterness from turning unpleasantly harsh, IIRC.

Back