Mythbusters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mythcon? Now that's going a bit far.

It's a great show and all, but jeez. there's no need for everyone to pull out their lightsabers and get all dressed up about it.

As much as I love Mythbusters...They've never tried to launch a car into space like the guys on BBC's Top Gear tried to do with a Renault Reliant...

[YOUTUBE]aylctl44BFQ[/YOUTUBE]

Blowing things up! :rockin:

Here's the entire Space shuttle car segment, in case you want to try this at home;)

(I'm sure Yuri can do this in his workshop!)

[YOUTUBE]SIrgAXxVU7k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]n5Def59xRQQ[/YOUTUBE]

That's so awesome! Never heard of that show, but it looks good. I wonder where in the hell they found space for/ got permission to do that in England?

That's so awesome! Never heard of that show

Top Gear is by far the best Car show ever. They take multi million dollar cars and really test them. Hell they ran a Coesing CCX off the course!

Its funny, entertaining and most of all very gear head oriented.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Its funny, entertaining and most of all very gear head oriented.

And they like to set things on fire!:D

[YOUTUBE]XraeBDMm2PM[/YOUTUBE]

This is my favorite segment...Sadly nothing explodes.

[YOUTUBE]Mio5fTKqWgM[/YOUTUBE]

We need to e-mail mythbusters some beer myths. I bet they would do some if enough of us wrote in and told them about all the brewers here.... anyone know any?

Limited Visibility said:
anyone know any?

Know any what? Mythbusters or beer myths?:D

Homebrew gives you the sh@ts or makes you fart prodigiously. (Anyone remember the "brown note" episode of Mythbusters?)

24704-025_LG.jpg

I just saw the one a couple of days ago where they get hammered to test the 'get sober' myths. My favorite episode ever.

Except any episode where Kari wears a half shirt.

Damn, just look at those abs! mmmmmmm.....

I saw the Beer Goggles one recently, I thought it was pretty hilarious. It also proved women are cruel in bars when they're buzzed. Kari was not kind to the test subjects.

My all time favorite, unhormonally biased episode was the one where they tested the "an M-80 can unlodge hardened concrete from the back of a cement truck". This failing to work, they packed the whole truck (cement turner, cab, everything) full of plastic explosive and blew it up so bad all they found after was a small piece of the engine block. That was the best explosion I've ever seen on the show.

Anyone notice that the mythbusters "Can a blowout tyre on a truck decapitate a passing motorist?" That episode ended up as a plot in an episode of CSI....... CSI soooo ripped off mythbusters!

Anyone notice that the mythbusters "Can a blowout tyre on a truck decapitate a passing motorist?" That episode ended up as a plot in an episode of CSI....... CSI soooo ripped off mythbusters!

:D I did see both those shows. I was thinking the same thing. Weren't they driving go-karts?
And LG, just as an FYI, over here we spell it tire. ;)

mythbusters is the greatest, i absolutely love watching back-to-back episodes on the weekends in my underwear...

what could be cooler? science, explosions and a sexy redhead :D

my wife isn't a big fan, so I tend to watch the show alone :(

anyway, I know i'm super late posting in this thread, but I'll add +1 to Kari being a very cute chick...

Are you at a Mythbusters convention or something? Looks like they've been signing.

No, they did an appearance/Q&A at a local college when we still lived in VA. SWMBO and I are big fans.

My favorite was when they drove a car, school bus, then a small plane behind a 747 to see if they would flip over. Here's the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kari is smokin hot. End of story. The thread killer has spoken,

prolly need to move this one to ramblings.. im :drunk:

damn the belgian 2X & 3X.

cheers or sheers, or beers, or sumthin]]

zsv err i mean zac

I like the one where they cooled down a beer in like 5 minutes by using salt and ice instead of just ice. I did this during my last attempt at an ice bath to cool my wort but I think I needed to add my salt to the ice before I put it in the sink because I didn't notice a difference.

There's a much better way if you've got a CO2 tank and some isopropyl alcohol. Take the regulator off the tank if it's attached. Put on some mittens. Put a sock (clean) over the end of the tank output and secure it with a ziptie or a hose clamp. Turn tank upside down and vent liquid CO2 into the sock. Once you've got a bit of dry ice in the sock, put your bottle of beer into the sock, place the sock covered bottle into a large plastic cup, and dump enough isopropyl alcohol into the cup to submerge everything. Leave it for ~2mins, and it will be ice cold.

The reason why the Mythbusters couldn't get the dry ice to work is that when dry ice "melts", it forms an insulating cushion of CO2 around it that prevents the bottle from actually contacting it's cold surface. By using alcohol, we create a "dry ice slushie" that works much better. Any liquid that won't freeze @ -109.3°F will work too. :)

SAFETY NOTE: Isopropyl alcohol is EXTREMELY flammable. The melting dry ice will "boil" the alcohol and release flammable vapor. Do NOT do this in an environment where people may be smoking or otherwise exposing an ignition source.

the arctic myths was cool (blowing up a lake to sink a car, well the dynamite retrieving dog myth... speeding up or slowing down before hitting a moose, and cabin fever)...

my boss hates Mythbusters... he told me "the guy with the glasses annoys the f*vk outta me, he's a total ******" (Adam)...

which got me to thinking since I see myself as Adam, I have thick black framed glasses and I'm super hyper energetic like him most of the time... is he trying to tell me something?

my boss hates Mythbusters... he told me "the guy with the glasses annoys the f*vk outta me, he's a total ******" (Adam)...

They both have glasses. Missed your chance to bust his chops.

which got me to thinking since I see myself as Adam, I have thick black framed glasses and I'm super hyper energetic like him most of the time... is he trying to tell me something?

If so, he's trying to tell you he's a passive-aggressive 'tard. ;)

I watch it strictly for Carrie. :D

Back