Mystery Perlick Faucet Part II - Faucet Boogaloo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogswell

Reaction score
You may have seen Part I in my thread Mystery Perlick Faucet - Help Identify. Turns out one of the faucets isn't like the others. It's an interesting front seal design without a shuttle. There's a sphere permanently (?) attached to the bottom of the lever.

I can't figure out how to get the darn thing apart. I can unscrew bonnet but the lever doesn't come out. The big sphere you see in the photos is too big to pull up through the lever hole. I've tried to unscrew that sphere but have been unsuccessful.

There's another sphere just under the bonnet and there's a lip just below the threads on the lever. Those things prevent the lever from sliding out of the bonnet in either direction.

What faucet is this and how do you disassemble it?

IMG_20211015_181435051 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20211015_181727999 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20211015_181741471 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20211015_181552950 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20211015_181712126 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20211015_181717758 - Copy.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
Remove 8 and then 7, then pull straight up and hard on the stem of 5 to force the lever plus the bottom #2 o-ring out of the faucet body. It does require some effort...

perlick_525ss_part.gif

Cheers!

Remove 8 and then 7, then pull straight up and hard on the stem of 5 to force the lever plus the bottom #2 o-ring out of the faucet body. It does require some effort...

Part 6A was stuck to part 7 by washer 2. The washer had disintegrated and fused the parts together. Took a few solid strikes with a heavy mallet to knock them loose.

Part 5/6 popped out after an epic tug of war.

Thanks so much. I never would have figured this one out without help.

I had 2 Perlik 525's could not stop them from leaking. Stopped leaking ,after rebuild for a week or so and started leaking again. Tried silicone o rings with no success. Perlick sent me modified stem-ball arrangement that didnt work so I sent both back to Perlik almost a year ago. , havent heard from them since. Replaced with some used ones with no problems. Quality, Service. None

My six perfectly behaved first generation 525ss Perls out gun your two malcontents for the win! ;)

But, seriously, unless there's an actual manufacturing defect, it really comes down to understanding how to set the faucet lever bonnet (#7 in the diagram above).
Also, fwiw, adding an Intertap return spring provides more closing effort, which can help stop dribbles...

Cheers!

I have (8) in the bar from 2014 + a couple on a portable bar and (2) that I use directly mounted on quick disconnects for sampling. The only leaks I've ever had were from seating #6a incorrect or not tightening #7.

I have four of them, and I find that a heavier tap handle helps keep it closed tight for no drips.

I have one of these too. It's my 'camping tap'. Often taken to the cabin in the mountains, to serve a keg or two. It's been stashed in a rucksack and dragged up a mountain or two numerous times as well. Nice to appreciate the view with a home brew :) Actually a very reliable tap, if cleaned regularly. Like most things in home brew.

My six perfectly behaved first generation 525ss Perls out gun your two malcontents for the win! ;)

But, seriously, unless there's an actual manufacturing defect, it really comes down to understanding how to set the faucet lever bonnet (#7 in the diagram above).
Also, fwiw, adding an Intertap return spring provides more closing effort, which can help stop dribbles...

Cheers!
I recently bought these springs for my 630s, because I was worried by a leaking faucet or a bumped handle, which might dump a keg on the floor overnight and possibly empty a gas tank as well. Simply awesome, works perfectly. I can't believe I didn't know about this and do it long ago. Perlick is missing a trick by not including a similar spring, or at least offering it as an option. I'm also looking at ways for adding a smaller spring (e.g. a ball lock spring) to my flow control faucets for the same purpose, since they won't work with the large Intertap spring. Looks promising.

Back