Mysterious Beer Gas Disappearance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
I hooked up a 10# tank of beer gas about 2 weeks ago. I had to connected to one regulator set at 35PSI that went into a 3-way manifold. It was only hooked up to one keg, so only one valve on the manifold was open.

I went to pour a beer tonight and to my surprise, there was ZERO pressure. The tank was empty and there was no pressure in the keg. Because there was no pressure in the keg, I'm lead to believe that that's where there might be a leak.

The only thing I could find that was a little off was that I could see a little beer residue on the inside of the gas disconnect. In 2 years of brewing I've never had beer get into the gas disconnect - I don't even understand how that would happen.

Any suggestions are a huge help. I'd hate to fill up another tank only to lose it all again.

:mug:

Because there was no pressure in the keg, I'm lead to believe that that's where there might be a leak.

There's no mystery, you have a leak somewhere. A leak that completely drained everything would mean no pressure anywhere in the system, so the keg haviing no pressure doesn't make it any more likely a culprit than the other components. Refill your tank, hook it up, and test for leaks. It's probably a very small leak and will be hard to find. Work your way from where the tank connects to the reg all the way to the beer out QD testing every connection and component along the way. Submerge anything you can in water, and spray soapy water on anything you can't, and look for bubbles. When you find all of the leaks, tighten/teflon/replace parts and fittings as needed and re-test to confirm they've been fixed.

Back