Myrtle beach recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
I am going to Myrtle Beach for vacation this year with the family. I have never gone and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for restaurants, entertainment, breweries, etc.

Was just there 2 weeks ago. I did visit Liberty Breweries restaraunt on N. Kings hwy. This is a satellite to their brewery/eatery at Broadway at the Beach. For dinner I had their lager and I liked it a lot. Then after dinner I got their sampler which you choose 4 of their 5 brews in sample glasses - for $5. So since I already had the lager, I got the other 4 on their brew list. They were a red ale, a nut brown ale, an IPA and a wheat. I would say out of the 5, the IPA was my fav, then the lager, then the brown, then the red and last that wheat. It was a bit too citrus for my taste and not enough beer flavor. But it was good if you like that sort of flavor, I guess.

Dinner was huge portions as well. I got their meatloaf which had 2 large slabs with smashed garlic potatoes in the middle and on top. Wife got their grilled salmon and loved it.

Now as a off tip - if you are in a hotel or condo - be very aware of the wind tunnel effect if you have your balcony doors open when trying to go in and out of the entry door! Keep the balcony door closed. Mid week, my wife was joining me on the beach and the wind slammed the door on her fingers. 5 hours in the ER (hospital is located at 82nd ave btw). Had to call in a trauma surgeon to essentially reattach the last digit of her middle finger. It was broken and 12 stiches. 5 stitches to the ring finger.

Ouch! I hope she heals up ok. I will definitely keep the balcony closed. Thanks for the tip about liberty. I will put that on the itinerary for sure!

Liberty was okay. The tap water in Myrtle Beach isn't very good so there isn't much of a brewing scene, at least not yet.

New South brewery does tours and tastings and you can get the canned product at local bottle shops (there are a few, look for "Green's" and "Discount Beverage"). There is a Gordon Biersch at the Market Commons, a chain brewpub that specializes in German lagers. I recommend the Marzen, Pils and Schwartzbier. All the food I've had there has been excellent. Those bottle shops have a good selection too, albeit pricey. I still haven't been to the new LHBS in Conway (just outside of MB) but it looks to be on par with other HBS' as far as prices and products

Thanks for the info! I will definitely plan a trip to new south brewing!

Atlas or hurricane maggies are great craft bars. The new south tour is fantastic as well and if they have lilly on tap a must try imo

If you want to check out a cool homebrew store homebrewers pantry in conway and you can check out crafty rooster in conway too which is a good craft bar.

For restaurants bisqut in pawleys best burgers, fire and smoke in myrtle (awesome little gastrointestinal pub gets reservations) and the bistro in conway (awesome awesome food locally sourced too) or brother shuckers in carolina Forrest (great fish resturant that does not fry everything) are my top 4. Liberty and Quigleys are really the only brew pubs and food wise I much perfer quigleys

When are you comming to town? The new mellow mushroom in nmb might be open and they will have 60+ taps

A great resource for all things beer is the column in the surge

http://www.weeklysurge.com/2014/07/23/4366256/keeping-the-myrtle-beach-beer.html?sp=/99/984/991/

Since you mention fish, Vodo, I'm reminded of an excellent fish market in NMB called Berry's that sells everything one would need for any type of seafood dinner. But they will also cook it for you, when we go I normally get a classic fried catfish platter. more on fried fish: Molly Darcy's Irish Pub=the best fish and chips... ever. My wife can't even imagine going to the beach without getting Molly Darcy's chicken wings. The beer selection is just OK, to me it's more about the setting: a big porch right on the beach :)

Edit: if you do go to Berry's, don't forget to try the mustard sauce, it's on-point!

Not sure if you were planning on it, but you have to go to a Calabash. My wife and I went a few years ago. All you can eat EVERYTHING, for like $25 a person. Don't plan on eating for 24 hours afterwards. They have steak, chicken, fish, crab legs, lobster... you name it they have it. It was awesome. There are several different ones down there, I'm not sure which one we ate at..

Back