Mypin ta4 overshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crownsdown

Reaction score
So months back, I bought one of Tom Hargrave's assesmbled controllers. I was fortunate enough to get it, but now that he has my money, he won't answer any questions I have concerning it.

So I watched a few videos on youtube and finally figured out how to set the temperature. The problem I'm having though, is that the element is still firing after the set temperature has been achieved. In fact, the temp will just keep climbing. What am I missing?

Seperate question: Can I just swap this damn thing out for an auberin? I'm used to using one of highgravity's controllers and it seamed way easier to use.

Not familiar with this device in particular, but I will the temperature ever stop or does it over shoot it by a certain amount.

Does the temperature display correspond to a manually measured temp. Sensors do need to be calibrated. I have a MyPin PID I replaced with an Auberins, only to find out it was a cheap ass sensor that caused the problem. Hard to diagnose .

First thing use a manual thermometer and check it against the displayed temp, if it matches it's not the sensor. If it is off by 10 or so degree's, you can correct that by setting the sensor offset. (In the PID directions from MyPin)

Did you run auto configure when you first set it up? If not - again check the MyPin doc's.

If that doesn't cure it, I would change sensors first before changing PID's. But no matter what you use, you need to auto program and set sensor offset anyway.

good luck

The sensor is reading the correct temperature. I checked it with a thermapen. It won't shut off at all. I let it run to see if maybe it'd cut out after a certain differential, but it just kept climbing.

Let's start by seeing if it's an open/miswired SSR instead of PID issues:

On the PID there's an indicator light 'out1' that'll light up when it's sending power. Is that staying on or going off when temperature is reached?

This is a known problem with some MyPin Ta4 units. This thread is a bit painful to read through at times, but there are some suggestions in here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517543

I'm one of the people that has the same problem. I am finally brewing tomorrow and I will post my results by trying the default P setting (3), I=1, and D=off. Can't hurt to try.

On the PID there's an indicator light 'out1' that'll light up when it's sending power. Is that staying on or going off when temperature is reached?

It's a good question to ask. The way mine works (and I'll assume the same as the OP) is that it reaches temperature and it still continues to fire on/off, as if it THINKS it isn't at temperature yet - or as if it thinks it will drop below SV. Anyways, we'll see what I=1 does for me.

Yeah I recall people having this issue as well, sounds like these mypins just don't have a good autotune.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467257

Basically has the same suggestions - the i-value is too high by default and causes the massive overshooting.

But him saying it never turns off makes me think there's something else at play. I 'spose Occam demands you try changing the i parameter first, though, lest you be shanked.

I am confirming that my issue of the TA4 overshooting was fixed by setting P=3 (default), I=1, and D=off.

If we're having the same issue I would think it will work for you too. I'm not sure if it is the exact same issue though, haven't concluded on that yet.

Latest posts

Back