MyPin - SSR - continuous on-off switching ok ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprinkaan

Reaction score
Good day,

I have recently completed building my electrical brewing system and still getting the hang of it.
Apart from one bug I have not figured out (will leave that for another post) I have a question about the SSR.

I have set the MyPin TA-4 controller to autotune once I was near my mashing temperature.
After getting up to the correct temperature, the controller is then switching the SSR on and off in quick succession to stay at the given set point.

So its basically switching the (5500W) element on and off quite a lot.

Is that bad for the SSR at all ? Is there supposed to be less switching ?

I've read (in the crappy manual) of the TA-4 that some relays should not be switched that often to spare the connections ?

controller.jpeg

ssr.jpeg

system.jpeg

panel.jpeg

Not to worry. The controller is working as it should. SSR's are made for short cycle time switching, that's why we use them instead of electro-mechanical relays for this application. The electro-mechanical relays are the ones that wear out fast with lots of short cycle switching.

Brew on :mug:

I will add that a mypin tD4 would work much better for the boil kettle since you need manual pwm mode (which it has) for a nice controlled even boil. With the ta4 you can only get 100% on for a boil which is too vigorous with too much boil off for most peoples tastes or you can have a boil thats on and off every minute or so..

Back