my water is PH is 8.0...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Just wondering, water out of my tap is an 8.0 PH. would I be better off getting my gallons of water from the store and brewing w/it? I am brewing soon and may run up to the local Meijer and pick some up...

thoughts?

We don't care too much about the pH (though for a thorough understanding we need it). What we need to know is the alkalinity. It is that which will primarily determine whether you would be better of with another water supply.

ya, this is really a dumb question. My water tastes good and so does my beer. I guess I don't really need to concern myself at this point. :)

At some point you'll get a full report and use software and pH meter to target specific flavor ions and mash pH. Your beer will go from good to great and you'll wonder what took you so long to address your brew water. For now though, if you're happy with your beer, there's no rush.

Ignorance is bliss :)

I thought I was making good beer until one time I adjusted the water. That was the first time I made my first really good beer. Then I learned a little more and next time I built the water up from scratch using R/O water. That was the first beer I thought was good enough to be worth money (that's my benchmark for everything).

Latest posts

Back