My UK Tour of Real Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh The guest beers that are written in sloppy sharpie pen!! So tempting to try and quite often a very rewarding gamble!

All the hits this this thread is getting? Probably most of them are mine.....Just going through all the pics over and over and getting a little bit homesick for the draught ale. :(

I'd say a fair share of them are mine too, just going through the pics and drooling for the draught ale.

Perhaps it's best I havn't experienced such delicious offerings, I don't truly know what I'm missing to lust after...but I can imagine...:D

One day I'll make it over there! I don't know if I'd be able to leave though!

Excellent pics! What was the average price of a pint over there?

You are one lucky dick. :D

Orfy...lookin good mate.

Maybe sometime when we're all filthy rich, will have our annual HBT meet-n-greet pub crawl...starting in Coventry and working our way down to London.

You are one lucky dick. :D

Orfy...lookin good mate.

Maybe sometime when we're all filthy rich, will have our annual HBT meet-n-greet pub crawl...starting in Coventry and working our way down to London.

If we're filthy rich, let's start in Seattle and zig zag our way across the US north to south, end up on the east coast, then fly to the UK and continue the journey from there. It all ends in Australia where we catch a plane to Honolulu then back to Seattle where it all began. :mug:

olllllo, start planning this itinerary right away!

Looks good.

Jane's been keeping an eye open for the pictures.
I'm glad you enjoyed your time around Warrington.

Like I say you are free to use the house as a base any time.

I guess it may be a while until I meet the next HBTer.#

:mug:

Hey olllllo, did you suck up to the landlords of those pubs like my SWMBO did when she went over there the first time?

On a visit to this pub in Southampton, on the south coast, SWMBO would never stop her yakking. So impressed with their new American friend that during the conversation bar staff would keep nipping down to the celllars and retrieving old unused pump label thingies as souveniers for her to take home.

e02d7f524f4bf5515e277338b12a5c2f.jpg

Here is the final haul. One is porcelaine, and a couple are enammeled brass. My favourite of those being the the "abroad" enammelled one. That one is a thing of beauty in person.

ONe day I hope to have the pumps to put them on! :D

pumpsbp4.jpg

Hey olllllo, did you suck up to the landlords of those pubs like my SWMBO did when she went over there the first time?

On a visit to this pub in Southampton, on the south coast, SWMBO would never stop her yakking. So impressed with their new American friend that during the conversation bar staff would keep nipping down to the celllars and retrieving old unused pump label thingies as souveniers for her to take home.

Okay, now you HAVE to post a pic of your SWMBO, Brit. We have to see if it was truly her bubbly personality or her brilliant smile that coaxed that treasure for you.

As a Yorkshireman where the likes of Tetley, John Smith and Sam Smith beers are brewed can I just distance myself from Sam Smiths!

Having read this (predominantely) American forum for several weeks now I'm amazed that you guys are only just discovering the delights of a true 'bitter' ale. It is heart-warming to see, especially in this age when your average 20-30 year Brit is a mass-produced lager fan. :(

Back to my original point, Sam Smiths is without doubt the most horrid pint I've ever tried! Bitter is bitter, Sam Smiths has a whole new category, YUCK!

Brother, that's one tour de force pub crawl! I salute and toast you, nice to see orfy doing so well... gonna brew the goblin soon mate! I know yall hate it when yanks say mate.... but hey I'm a yank I can't help it!

olllllo that's a dream vacation, only I'd like to spend about 2 days in London, head up north toward Newcastle for about 2 or 3 days then off to the far reaches of Scotland for 10 days and go pub crawling on the Isle of Skye and in Edinburough. Maybe get in a visit to clan headquarters.

Amazing stuff and a big THANKS for sharing, I'm sure it was FUN!

Schlante,
Phillip

Looks good.

Jane's been keeping an eye open for the pictures.
I'm glad you enjoyed your time around Warrington.

Like I say you are free to use the house as a base any time.

I guess it may be a while until I meet the next HBTer.#

:mug:

I'll be back in London Sept 12-19 and then head to Germany for a couple days of work and a weekend of Oktoberfest.

Very nice pics.

Been to London once.

Would go back in a heart beat.

What did a decent pint set you back in greenbacks?

I head back in a couple weeks and if you buy your airfare I've got a free hotel room for you to stay in. First four days back will be at the Heathrow Hilton, then down to Euston for a couple days before flying into Frankfurt and taking the train down to Munich til the 23. Then head back to frankfort for a couple days of work then back to London.

Then hop on a plane on the 26th and make it back in time for the Garage Brewers fall picnic!
Most pints when I was there last month ran 3-4pounds each.

Hey, O, when you were in Edinburgh, didja happen to visit the pub that is my avatar? I've never been, SWMBO brought back a shirt on her tour of Scotland a few back & I love the symbolism.
Gawd, I am envious of your trip! We were going to the same thing in Ireland but the dollar-to-euro conversion scratched that thought!

As a Yorkshireman where the likes of Tetley, John Smith and Sam Smith beers are brewed can I just distance myself from Sam Smiths!

Having read this (predominantely) American forum for several weeks now I'm amazed that you guys are only just discovering the delights of a true 'bitter' ale. It is heart-warming to see, especially in this age when your average 20-30 year Brit is a mass-produced lager fan. :(

Back to my original point, Sam Smiths is without doubt the most horrid pint I've ever tried! Bitter is bitter, Sam Smiths has a whole new category, YUCK!

As Americans, we want to experience it all.
The American homebrewer is more apt to try and also brew a wide variety of styles. The English homebrewer is more focused on preserving thd historical an traditional styles. While I enjoy the freedom to brew what I like, it is really admirable what English homebrewers are doing and what organizations like CAMRA are doing.

In short, I'm glad I had Sam Smiths in a Sam Smiths pub. I understand why it isn't your favorite.

I'll be posting some more photos of the Lake District soon. We spent no quality time in Scotland, just flew out. Time was the tyrant.

We've already discussed reversing the trip and spending more time in the north and woking south.

I'll look into that pub Bruscar, when I go back.

You are my hero. I bring back beer in my suitcase every time I travel. I've never tried that quantity. I learned to enjoy pubs and beer with my dad when I was still in college. When in the UK we would wait for my mom to go to bed (she is a tea-totaller) then sneak off to the local. I would love to go to the UK but I also am scared of the exchange rate.

I still haven't tried brewing my own but am enjoying this forum and trying all the craft beer available. If I need "comfort beer" I'll run back to my Guinness!

Please tell me there is some social redeeming value in being a beer snob?

Cheers

As Americans, we want to experience it all.
The American homebrewer is more apt to try and also brew a wide variety of styles. The English homebrewer is more focused on preserving thd historical an traditional styles. While I enjoy the freedom to brew what I like, it is really admirable what English homebrewers are doing and what organizations like CAMRA are doing.

In short, I'm glad I had Sam Smiths in a Sam Smiths pub. I understand why it isn't your favorite.

Kudos to you for trying and even enjoying it. :) There must be a market for it here in the UK since pubs still sell it and the brewery remains, it's just totally not to my taste. :(

Back