My third batch's ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
I am brewing my 3rd batch (4th if you include cider), an Irish Sweet Stout.

My OG was 1.052, and after 4 days I am at 1.014.

If I do the math 1.052 - 1.014 * 131 I get 4.978% ABV

It was supposed to be 4.8% ABV according to the directions so I overshot it a little, and in only 4 days. Its still burping a little as well so its clearly not done.

Is it rare to overshoot FGs? Or was the directions/recipe just off?

It's not rare at all, what type of yeast were you using? Was your hydrometer adjusted for temperature?

Its nottingham yeast.

And wouldnt you know, I forgot to adjust for temperature on both hydrometer readings. But since posting, the foam has now subsided and now the FG appears to be a bit lower at 1.012

The correct gravities would be 1.053 - 1.013 * 131 = 5.24% ABV

EVEN HIGHER!

trying to get an accurate ABV within .1% is not gonna happen by using standard og/fg hydrometer readings and without knowing the exact volumes. It's just a close approximation at best just like IBUs, mash efficiency, volumes co2 for carbonation, color, etc; If you shooting for 6% and got 9% then I'd be concerned...Recipes aren't formulas and depending on the process(mash time/temps etc) they will have variable results.

Did the recipe call for Nottingham? I'd think a somewhat less attenuating yeast would be more suitable for a sweet stout, like Windsor or Safale S04

Did you build up a starter? What temperature are you fermenting at? What means are you using to control your fermentation temperature?

Your yeast is probably in optimal conditions and working a bit better than the recipe anticipates under most circumstances. However, if you are fermenting at a high temperature, your yeast could be going nuts because of this. If this is the case, you are gonna get a lot of diacetyl and other off flavors.

No, no starter. Honestly I didn't even rehydrate it, just tossed it in and I had fermentation with 6 hours.

I keep my heat in the house at 72-74. The fermenter is in the corner of my kitchen and I closed the HVAC vent off in that room so that corner should be staying under 70 degrees. I think my fermentation temps have been pretty good.

I havent detected any diacetyl or off flavors in the hydrometer sample. For 5+% alcohol (according to calculations) it doesn't really show. Its smooth with mostly the roasted notes in the forefront, and very low in fruity esters.

I havent detected any diacetyl or off flavors in the hydrometer sample. For 5+% alcohol (according to calculations) it doesn't really show. Its smooth with mostly the roasted notes in the forefront, and very low in fruity esters.

70 is a decent temperature for fermentation and should not leave you with much diacetyl. I would leave your brew on the yeast for a few days after primary fermentation has stopped to let the yeast clean up the beer a bit though. If your outside temperature gauge (I am assuming you do not have a thermowell down the middle of your brew through the airlock here) reads 70, your inside temp is probably a few degrees higher as the yeast will bring up the temperature. However, sounds like all is well. Relax, have a homebrew! :mug:

Latest posts

Back