My temp controller doesn't function as low as I would like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverhammer

Reaction score
I've had this cheap no-name temperature controller for a while now and it's gotten the job done for fermentation control. The problem with it is that it can't control temperature below 5C, so obvisouly for cold crashing/lagering this isn't ideal. Anyone know of a way of tricking it into thinking the temp is higher so that it will take the freezer a few degrees cooler? I'm lagering a pilsner and a dopplebock and I'd like it colder.

Cheers!

I remember I was on a job where the room thermostat was set to like 62 F. We took turns periodically spraying it with freon to fool it. Eventually we had time to figure out how to take it apart and recalibrate it.

Your problem is the reverse, you want to add a small amount of heat. I’m thinking a small flashlight bulb might work. It could be too much. If it is you could pulse it, like we did in the Women’s Aerobic Room/ Temporary Tech Room with our freon can.

Isn’t 5C (41F) low enough?

The unit won't go any lower or the temperature won't go any lower? If the latter, it may be your fridge rather than the unit.

the unit won't control lower than 5. It's hooked up to a deep freeze, so it's definitely the unit. I'll settle with 5C, I just wish I could go closer to 0

Back