My Sugar hasn't dissolved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape_Town

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im a pretty novice brewer from Cape Town South Africa, I have made 1 batch of beer before, it is currently sitting in bottles waiting for 2ndary fermentation to be completed.

Whilst these bottles were sitting I decided to create a new batch and this time I selected the Candian Blonde from the coopers range of DIY beers(I use the Coopers Brew Kit).

I followed the instructions as I did last time(Last time I made the Australian Pale ale from the Coopers range) and this time, when I woke up this morning about 12 hours after creating the brew, there is a think layer of what appears to be sugar at the bottom of the fermenter.

Is this normal, should I be concerned, should I stir it up or should it just be fine? I have attempted to search similar topics, but I am not 100% sure on the results and would appreciate any help here.

What you have is trud not sugar it is yeast and hops that have fallen out of suspension it is perfectly normal so nothing to worry about welcome to the hobby / obsession

So I should leave this for 2 weeks total? I took this last brew out after 7 days, was that too little? I was checking the gravity and was satisfied it was stable 2 days in a row. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated, and thank you soo much for the replys, I was really worried I had messed things up, will this stay at the bottom or eventually dissolve?

It will stay there but it will compact so it will get smaller. I leave mine in the fermenter for 3 - 4 weeks to condition and clear up then 3 weeks in the bottle you will have a much better beer if you leave it that extra week. Make sure the gravity is stable over 3 days not 2

The yeast and hops at the bottom will not disappear but may compact more. The yeast need to clean up after themselves so after the krausen drops the beer needs additional time. Many brewers, including me, wait at least two weeks to bottle. Some wait longer and letting it go a month is not unheard of.

So I should leave this for 2 weeks total? I took this last brew out after 7 days, was that too little? I was checking the gravity and was satisfied it was stable 2 days in a row. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated, and thank you soo much for the replys, I was really worried I had messed things up, will this stay at the bottom or eventually dissolve?

If you are close to your final gravity for 2 or 3 days in a row, then yes you can bottle.

Back