My prohibition brew stuck at 1.02, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
Someone gave me a couple of cans of Premier malt extract, so I decided to try a prohibition style brew with it. My recipe is 2 cans of extract, 32oz of Karo syrup. Then I pitched Fleischmens bread yeast on it. I was going to bottle this past weekend (after 2 weeks in primary) but the gravity was at 1.022. I tasted it and it was sweet. I racked into secondary and put it on 4lbs of strawberries, added some yeast nutrient and enegizer, then repitched more bread yeast. It's a few days later now and I am still sitting at about 1.02.

I guess my question relates to the bread yeast. Does it poop out about 3.7 ABV? I was thinking I might run by my LHBS and grab some Safale 05 and try to get it to finish out.

Bread yeast should be able to get up to 10ABV or so. Whats your fermenting temps? Could also be all the extract. Whenever I do an all extract beer I always seem to end around 1.020.

Interesting. I'm fermenting at about 70 degrees. A little warmer than I would like, but I would figure it would be a little more active than not. It may just be the way this beer is going to end up. Hopefully the strawberries will help the flavor.

Back