My progress at silver soldering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I had to commit to doing it because I reached a point in my build where I was so far in....THEN I learned you cannot use your electrical soldering kit to attach anything to stainless. DOH. Seriously, I mean if you are like me and have not actually accepted that you can solder anything with your little butane torch and rosin core solder, believe me, you cannot solder that on stainless.

Basically, for my electric system I need to put a ground on my pot. I am not building a receptacle like Kal's system. Mostly because I have a 4 gal test brew pot and a 9 gal full brew pot. The gangbox would be almost as big as my pots!

So my options were to track down a home welder to tack on a bolt or figure out how to silver solder. It cost ~$90 bucks for a roll of solder and some flux. I found mine locally at an HVAC store, this saved me having to order it and wait. Then I went to Ace and got my stainless bolt and acorn nut, I also got some practice bits since I couldn't be sure I had stainless bolts at house.

(Oh, I also got some silver solder with flux inside, got this from an electronics shop hoping that the $8 roll would save me the big money, but as you can see I gave up on it early...not sure if it would have worked, but once I got the staybrite solder to work I didn't experiment any further.)

This is pic of the parts and the little spool of silver with flux inside. At this point I still HOPED that it would work and be cheaper.
20140410_180127.jpg

Didn't work. But then there are many reasons, and they point to why soldering stainless is difficult. I never did sand this screw down any, so it still had all it's chromium oxide layer(?) still in tact, that mean the solder had nothing to adhere to because the flux inside had no time to eat through the oxide layer. But, if you want to make tiny solder BB's, this seems to work.
20140410_180800.jpg

So, naturally I had to replicate the experiment to make sure I was getting consistent results. Stainless washer with just some flux and the actual staybrite silver solder. LOOK! It makes a ball shape too. Sigh. (Yes, if you are trying to learn, this was TOO hot and I burnt the flux. Also I never did sand this either to get through surface oxidation.)
20140410_181059.jpg

Starting to get the hang of it. A second washer, sanded, fluxed both the washer and the screw. On this one I was still to hot and burnt the flux a bit so you can see there are no fillets (soldering term) meaning the screw is just sitting on top. This would NOT be NASA level soldering. But, it really does stick!
20140410_182502.jpg

This time I got the heat a bit better, the solder on the washer spreads out more because I didn't just scorch off the flux (not solder as first posted). All rest of pictures include rough grit and wet sanding before any attempts.
20140410_183322.jpg

So, then I sanded and fluxed another screw, I also fluxed the solder puddle after I cooled it and wiped it clean. I just rested the screw right on top of the cooled solder puddle. Heated the washer carefully until the flux bubbled and the solder started to melt. WOO HOO...Look it THOSE fillets NASA! (Meaning the flux actually runs up the very small edge of the screw.
20140410_183608.jpg

Now, since I was not going to be running the torch inside my kettles (and I had been heating these washers underneath) I had to try one from topside to make sure I could do it again. Again, nice fillets up onto the screw...Where are you NASA? Hire me now!!
20140410_185034.jpg

Well....sigh...after learning with the washers, which are like triple thicker than my pot, I scorched the pot. GAH!! So beware when you try this. I was using one of those yellow propane torch things from any hardware store, not the blue, the yellow. Oh well, this is my 4gal kettle for test recipes, and it now has a ground bolt on it! (BTW, the melting of my element did not happen here, it happened when I put whole pot on stove, didn't realize that 4gal pot diameter much smaller than 9gal pot diameter and stove fire got to it...:( )
20140410_192852.jpg

Another pic of the destruction I wrought on my little, very thin gauge pot! Beware getting distracted and your hand stops moving the torch even for ~5seconds. Crap.
20140410_194009.jpg

Today I attempted to silver solder my real brew pot, my 9gal pot. Things to point out, even moving the torch around a lot, melting solder onto pot and then melting bolt into solder, I still end up with burn marks. Need to get those off, as I hear they will lead to rusting if left there. The reason is the pot needs to reoxidize the stainless, or passivate, so that it is stainless again. Also, note the heat shield/ heat sink in this pic. I used it on both pots to protect the elements. Yes, I should have just disassembled the pots and gotten the o-rings and elements out of there, but...well I didn't. I decided to risk it with some kind of heat sink instead.
20140411_180937.jpg

There you go. The pots are cleaned up now and I will wire up the elements tonight or tomorrow. But maybe my trials will help someone else avoid them.

Nice job. You can't learn without trail and error in my opinion. I've been considering learning also, thanks for the post!

sorry to dredge up an old post but what was your method for removing the burn marks? I have myself the a few burn marks I'd like to get rid of.

Back