My planned location for growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a corner in my backyard where I am thinking of growing some hops. The stump is a necatarine tree that was cut about 3 years ago. I plan on either pulling the stump completely out or cutting it at ground level. On the right is a lemon tree.

If I place the hops towards the left side of this planting area, will the lemon tree be affected? Also, I have read that hop roots grow everywhere, is there a good chance they will end up sprouting up in the grass area?

I found out my LHBS has rhizomes (cascade) in stock, so I was thinking of going to get a couple, and keep them in the fridge until this weekend when I can prep the area and get them planted.

IMG_20120508_071659.jpg

If I place the hops towards the left side of this planting area, will the lemon tree be affected?

Not if you train the bines away from the tree. The tree should have deep and strong enough roots that any underground encroachment will not affect it, so the only thing to worry about would be shading it out if the bines grow into it.

Also, I have read that hop roots grow everywhere, is there a good chance they will end up sprouting up in the grass area?

Yes, they will absolutely spread into the grassy area. Pretty easy to keep in check though, just cut off at ground level any shoots that pop up outside the desired area. Grass is also resilient enough it shouldn't be bothered by the root system encroaching.

+1 on what damdaman said. Also I'd plan carefully what you will do with the bine's lest they end up all over the tree on the other side of the fence.

Thanks fire the replies and help everyone.

I was reading up more on hop growing, and knowing they like to grow high, I'm thinking this may be a better spot.

ForumRunner_20120511_163343.jpg

This is the side of my house. This is the east facing wall, and gets plenty of sun light. The shed is about 7 feet high.

If I do this location instead,I would do a pulley system on the eave of the house so that the bines can grow high, and I could easily lower them when it's time to pick. you guys see any issues with this spot?

Also the first spot I showed is on the other side of an elementary school, we get balls in our yard all the time.

Back