My original video: using vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
It's a real popular topic around these parts this time of year, how to best add vanilla to a beer, so I decided to make a video tutorial (as simple as the process is) for my new homebrewing website. Check out the post for a bit more of a text description.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usop_bKgxck"][youtube]usop_bKgxck[/youtube][/ame]

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Pretty good video. I use the same size bottle from Giant Eagle's Market District vanilla beans, two to a jar. I process them the same way, but about 1/3'd the bottle's volume filled with vodka for the two beans. I let'em soak in their till primary is done. Then strain into the priming solution & add it that way. So it's more like a tincture or extract at that point.

How many batches have you used vanilla in, union? I'm thinking that's more of a "set it and forget it" method once you've done it enough times, and I'll probably make a video of that one day too. I've used a tincture for vanilla, cinnamon stick, and ginger before, I just hated that I was hoping I had the right ratio of flavor in the extract to volume in the fermenter.

I usually do it for a porter in cold weather. I just think letting the vodka dissolve the paste from inside the bean gives more flavor than otherwise. It fades out like aroma hops anyway.

Back