My newest creation... PORK-N-PORTER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubbastv

Reaction score
I got this idea from an old BYO magazine. I am doing a 2 gallon recipe. I finally found the Coors Lite Home Drafts... anyway here it is...

Pork-N-Porter

3 lbs #2 row
3 oz Caramel 80
3 oz Chocolate malt
1.5 oz Crisp black malt
.6 oz Fuggles @ 60 min
.4 oz Fuggles @ 10 min
1 Pack Nottingham ale yeast

Mash with 1.09 gal @ 155 for 60 min.
Sparge with 1.93 gal @ 170. (going to try fly sparging)

Ferment for 2 weeks.

Cook up 1/4 lb bacon until crispy, drain all grease. Crumble into secondary and then rack on top of. Check everyday until desired bacon flavor has been reached. Remove from bacon and cold crash for 24 hours, bottle and enjoy.

What do you think??? I'm open for comments and suggestions...

i've had bacon beer and it was not really that good. Leave the bacon with the eggs, not in the beer.

I was following this in your other thread. You might be better served to use some rauchmalt, as I worry about the fattiness/oiliness of the bacon. Try a beer with some rauchmalt in it first to see if the smokiness is the type of flavor you're looking for. You'd be surprised how similar it is to bacon.

I was following this in your other thread. You might be better served to use some rauchmalt, as I worry about the fattiness/oiliness of the bacon. Try a beer with some rauchmalt in it first to see if the smokiness is the type of flavor you're looking for. You'd be surprised how similar it is to bacon.

So would I substitute it in for something or just add? I'm looking for a slight bacon flavor thats all, nothing too powerful just a hint.

Rauchmalt can be used at 100% of the grainbill (needs mashing). Subbing in will work, and adding in will up your OG. All in all, if you're looking for something slight in the recipe you stated, i would probably start around 10-20%. If you can, do some research to find some examples of a rauchmalt beer to sample. Otherwise the level to use going in blind might require more trial and error.

I've made bacon vodka and it's very good in a bloody mary. Not so sure about bacon beer. Some things pair well, but shouldn't be combined. That said, go nuts! I'd try anything once! I did see an article on bacon beer in an issue of Brew Your Own magazine...

http://***********/component/resource/article/2060-breakfast-beers-bacon-beer

i made a 2 gallon batch of bacon beer as a sort of gag-gift for a friend that doesn't drink beer but loves bacon...i ended up using 8oz bacon bits because the crispy bacon from the oven wasn't over the top enough, even after a week...two days with the bacon bits...there was no mistaking the bacon...i'm very glad i was giving the beer away...

What might be good also is to add a maple syrup flavor to it also. Bacon and Maple beer served with pancakes. :)

Back