My new refractometer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
Calibrated my refractometer today with distilled water and checked two hydrometers also. One hydrometer was .01 high the other .01 low, calibrated the hydrometer dead on. Checked a sample of Eds AW and both hyrometers read about 1.020 and the refractometer read 1.060. It is a salinity refractometer but I asked the question here before and I understood that s.g. is the same whether salt or sugar. Am I missing something or did I take it in the shorts on E-bay?

Did you calibrate the refractometer with distilled water?

Oops: I should actually read the f'in post. ;)

Calibrated my refractometer today with distilled water and checked two hydrometers also. One hydrometer was .01 high the other .01 low, calibrated the hydrometer dead on. Checked a sample of Eds AW and both hyrometers read about 1.020 and the refractometer read 1.060. It is a salinity refractometer but I asked the question here before and I understood that s.g. is the same whether salt or sugar. Am I missing something or did I take it in the shorts on E-bay?

The alcohol in fermented wort affects a refractometers reading. There are some calculators online and in software that are supposed to account for this.

I still use my hydrometer to check the FG when I'm racking to a keg

The alcohol in fermented wort affects a refractometers reading. There are some calculators online and in software that are supposed to account for this.

I still use my hydrometer to check the FG when I'm racking to a keg

So a refracto. is only to be used before pitching the yeast?

Checked a sample of Eds AW and both hyrometers read about 1.020 and the refractometer read 1.060.

Just want to make sure it's plugged in before you determine something's wrong with it (a la my wife and electronics): Probably goes without saying, but you're not talking about 1.060 corrected are you?

You have to have a starting grav prior to the beginning of fermentation, otherwise the alcohol will throw off the absolute brix reading.

Just want to make sure it's plugged in before you determine something's wrong with it (a la my wife and electronics): Probably goes without saying, but you're not talking about 1.060 corrected[/I] are you?

Salinity refracto. has an s.g. scale not a brix scale so I am not sure where you are going?

Salinity refracto. has an s.g. scale not a brix scale so I am not sure where you are going?

Doesn't matter. Once fermentation starts, the alcohol throws off the reading from the refractometer because it's using optics for the measurement. Using a complex calculation to convert a liquid with alcohol in it is needed to get an actual reading.

So I need to do a calculated conversion after pitching yeast. I can take readings for O.G. before pitching yeast without a calculated conversion?

Thanks everyone, The post should have read new refracto. and I am too dumb to use it. But I still want to know what QFT means.

"Quoted For Truth".

or "Quaffable Flat Tire," your pick.

Forget I asked, I can make up my own B.S. answer. I did the search it wasnt in the brew wikki so I dont want to hear it. Hows that for an invitation for a ration of s##t?:ban:

So I need to do a calculated conversion after pitching yeast. I can take readings for O.G. before pitching yeast without a calculated conversion?

Right. Use this. You'll need to put in only the starting refractometer reading. I like to actually take a hydrometer measurement side-by-side to get the refractometer-to-batch specific correction factor (something different than what we're discussing here), but it's not essential as i've found the spreadsheet to typically be withing a couple points (1.00X) of the measured (hydrometer) gravities.

Keep in mind, though, the bigger you go (regarding beer SG) the more inaccurate the spreadsheet becomes.

I found that I have a refractometer tool in Beersmith also, but since my refracto. already reads in s.g. and Beersmith only takes brix it gets more confusing. I guess I need to convert the s.g. reading to brix input that into Beersmith? i am also checking out the above link in Morebeer, Thanks.

I have BeerSmith too, so that's why i need that correction factor. There's that "Calibrate Refractometer" button in which it calculates that correction factor generated from the side-by-side (hydro-to-refract) measurement.

You might be SOL when starting in SG, since all correction material I've experienced is in brix. Unless you get a little more hands on and throw a SG->Brix factor into the excel spreadsheet equation yourself.

Good luck, but at least you have an idea of what's going on.

I have BeerSmith too, so that's why i need that correction factor. There's that "Calibrate Refractometer" button in which it calculates that correction factor generated from the side-by-side (hydro-to-refract) measurement.

You might be SOL when starting in SG, since all correction material I've experienced is in brix. Unless you get a little more hands on and throw a SG->Brix factor into the excel spreadsheet equation yourself.

Good luck, but at least you have an idea of what's going on.

Thanks for all the help, I think I will be looking for a new refractometer. This time I will buy the one that measures in brix and has the atc built in.

ATC is nice, but i wouldn't pay too much more $ for it, as it's easy to get around by letting your sample sit for 30seconds or so prior to reading. That'll let the 1 or 2 drops to come to room temp, thus not requiring a temp correction. But if you can get the ATC for cheap, have at it.

ATC is for the ambient temperature of the refract itself, it always assumes that the liquid temp will equalize. If you do not have ATC you have to factor int he temp of the unit to get a correct reading.

I just bought one on Ebay last week for $35 shipped with 50 pipettes. It works great. The seller's name was Come in Style or something stupid like that. I did get it in two days though and it is the same manufacturer as the salinity one that the aquarium store I go to sells for $100. THe same seller on Ebay has a salinity one that comes with an electronic PH meter that I'm going to buy. I need on for my reef tanks.

Latest posts

Back