My New Monster Mill MM2-Pro/AAW Motor Project is Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
So, after waiting for a long time to get my AAW motor, I finally was able to finish my new grain mill project using the Monster Mill MM2-Pro with hardened rollers and 1/2" keyed shaft mated to the AAW motor with Lovejoy couplers. I used a DPDT switch to allow reverse direction in case I ever need it. I still need to add labels to the switches, but that's minor.

I ran a pound malt through first to check settings and remove any residue in on the mill. The gap was set way too big. I quickly reset it to 0.039" and ran another test batch through. It was a perfect crush.

Now, that it was set correctly and running nicely, I ran about 26 pounds of malt through to do a 10 gallon batch of Saison. I'm very impressed with both the mill and the motor. Even though the motor is only 1/2 HP, it is a beast with the gear reduction of 10:1. I cant imagine needing any more power or torque.

20171001_064213_edit1.jpg

Looks good, can you provide any more details on the motor and how you did the reduction? I'm currently rocking a Corona mill but would like to get something nice like that eventually.

Beautiful! I like the enclosed door to keep the dust trapped inside. You are right...that 1/2 hp motor stepped down 10:1 could darn near grind rocks. I got the 180 rpm motor on mine too, and with an MM-3 mill, I cant say enough good about my system.

Beautiful! I like the enclosed door to keep the dust trapped inside. You are right...that 1/2 hp motor stepped down 10:1 could darn near grind rocks. I got the 180 rpm motor on mine too, and with an MM-3 mill, I cant say enough good about my system.

Yep, that was the idea--to keep the dust down by putting the collection bucket in a cabinet. I'm still trying to determine if the bucket needs to be brought up to the bottom of the cabinet to really keep the dust down. So, far it doesn't seem too bad.

Devils, for the mechanically inept, would you mind sharing the height of your riser, to put the mill shaft on the same plane as the motor shaft?

While we're at it, and I know this is probably a "Don't Do It!" as the only thing I've wired is a PID for a cheese vat, but is there a primer somewhere to give us slow with electronics a walkthrough on wiring this (you've got a switch for forward and reverse, is that right)?

Off topic, sorry, but kind of related to the 2nd paragraph - hooking up the Chuggers to a box, so I can switch them on or off at a central panel - envisioning just plugging them into an enclosed outlet, wired with a switch, all enclosed)...

No worries if this takes your beautiful make - thread afield, and you rather not. Impressive build man.

While we're at it, and I know this is probably a "Don't Do It!" as the only thing I've wired is a PID for a cheese vat, but is there a primer somewhere to give us slow with electronics a walkthrough on wiring this (you've got a switch for forward and reverse, is that right)?

Believe me, I struggled with the reverse function myself. I simply had to have a DP/DT drum switch so I paid a hefty sum for one. Then I sat and scratched my head figuring how to wire this. If I made the wrong connection and fried the windings, I would be out the cost of the motor and shipping. So I employed the help of a master electrician who wired it for me, but it took him awhile as he scratched his head too. It is a bit complicated to gain the reverse function.

I felt I simply had to have reverse since I had used my MM3 with a corded drill and the rollers would bind frequently. Reverse saved the day with the corded drill. HOWEVER, now that I have reverse on this beast of a motor and MM3, I have NEVER once used reverse. I fill the hopper with 12# of grains, flip the switch and it grinds like a bulldozer with absolutely no effort at all. Like I say...it could grind rocks.

It is peace of mind to have the reverse. It cost me about $150 (additional) for the rotary drum switch and help to wire it which I thought I'd breeze through myself. I understand why you want reverse just like I knew I needed reverse. Long story short, I have ground a ton of grains so far and never used reverse once.

A simple off/on switch is cheap and AAW will send you the basic diagram anyone can follow. Wont have reverse...but no biggie.

Devils, for the mechanically inept, would you mind sharing the height of your riser, to put the mill shaft on the same plane as the motor shaft?

Off topic, sorry, but kind of related to the 2nd paragraph - hooking up the Chuggers to a box, so I can switch them on or off at a central panel - envisioning just plugging them into an enclosed outlet, wired with a switch, all enclosed)...

No worries if this takes your beautiful make - thread afield, and you rather not. Impressive build man.

If I recall correctly, the height of the riser is 2-3/8". I decided it would be difficult to drill a 1/4" hole through this much material accurately, so I decided to just use my dado head on my tablesaw to cut grooves for the long bolts (3-1/2" if I recall). The inside of the riser shows the bolts, but who cares! I've done enough woodworking to know that to drill over 2" accurately is really tough even with a drill press.

Yes, the forward and reverse function for the motor took me a few minutes to figure out. It's described fully in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=636222 Post #6 shows a wiring diagram. You need a SPST switch for main power and a DPDT switch for the reverse function.

OK, thanks much. I'll jump over to your thread and see if I can learn more. I'm decent at learning, just suck at...knowing, outside my little purview.:D

My friend is a renowned luthier. He built my alpine cheese press for me. Well, I should say, I built all the ugly stuff. He made the laminate and grooved top. Looks like beer trade is again in vogue on our block. ;)

abondance pressing 9-14.jpg

Back