My New HopGoblin ESB Artwork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I haven't been doing much in the way of new beer art, but figured I would roll out something special for Halloween. As many of you know I keg my beer and just make simple labels for the tap handles, I print my fancy artwork out on photo paper and frame it so it can be hung behind the bar by the taps, I also put it on t-shirts etc.
My cousin is a comic book artist, this past weekend over some beverages we came up with this idea for my tweak on Orfy's hobgoblin clone. I upped the bittering a bit and added 1/2lb of home toasted Pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) to the mash. we decided to make an old school comic book cover based on the hobgoblin character, added a flaming hop cone to one hand and my reapers scythe to the other. gave it an aged look and gave the whole thing the look of the old benday dot style of coloring. Alas this is not my own art, my cousin drew the whole thing with my assistance, but I LOVE the way it turned out, it will look great on the wall and on shirts!

HGB_labelprint.jpg

That is spectaular.

The only criticism I have, and as a geek I must, is that when comics were that affordable (13 cents) there were no UPC codes. UPC codes were invented on the 70's but I don't recall seeing them on comics until much later.

129-1.jpg

I agree completely that the bar code is not period correct, but we added it to give a more familiar look. I think bar codes appeared on comics somewhere in the early 80's. also you will note the color style is more modern as well, but still a nice nod to childhood days gone by.

when comics were that affordable (13 cents)

Comics were never 13¢, they went from 12¢ to 15¢. My guess is that the thirteen cents means something.

How cool would it be to tip a pint of Hopgoblin in one of these???
SpiderManBA.1.jpg

You had to use Spiderman 129 as your example! I own the first 200 Punisher comics except that one. Franks first appearence. I haven't collect in 20 years and I still want it!

You had to use Spiderman 129 as your example! I own the first 200 Punisher comics except that one. Franks first appearence. I haven't collect in 20 years and I still want it!

I think I still have that one in a box somewhere in the basement. I had all of his early appearances in ASM #135, #162, #174, #175 though I don't think I had his appearance in Captain America #241... Those were days :) Now my kids read them all...

Comics were never 13¢, they went from 12¢ to 15¢. My guess is that the thirteen cents means something.

Actually, we were just pulling numbers out of thin air to go on the cover, I picked 13 cents for the price because of my fascination with Friday the 13th, the comic is also number 31, October issue, representing Halloween, which is when this beer will be served. And for the price in Canada and the UK, those were made up as well just for effect, and weren't listed on older comics.

Back