My new hop screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I wanted to filter out most of the hops and hot break material on the way out of the boil kettle.
I think this design will work, plus it is easily removable for cleaning. It is mounted by camlock connection, and open on the bottom for easy access!

the photos are self explanatory. But here is the breakdown ...

Ball valve >
kettle wall >
rubber washer >
45 elbow>
Camlock F >
Camlock D >
Home made Stainless Screen & hose clamp contraption >
"HIGH FLOW STREET 90 elbow" with some grooves cut into it.

The screen is silver soldered to the hose clamp.
The gap under the hose clamp can be minimized by rotating the 45 elbow.

It's not perfect, There are some gaps, but a decent first pass perhaps.

hop1-64017.jpg

hop2-64018.jpg

hop3-64019.jpg

If there were a stainless ring on the bottom of the boil kettle to tighten that hose clamp on, that would be amazing (as long as it didn't disturb the boil, but why would it?). Either way, its seems better than nothing. Very creative!

Oh I see what you mean! Maybe!
Or maybe a weight to hold it against the bottom.

I will try it like this tomorrow and see how well it works. I think it is OK to let a little bit of trub through. I just don't want to clog my pump / chiller with tons of the stuff.

Keep us posted on your results, looks good, maybe a tad small?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the between the boil and setteling sediment the screen is going to clog up resulting in a very slow output. If you are trying to pump out to a plate chiller that might pose a problem.

What do you mean, a long tube shaped one like Bazooka?
Yeah, that's a great design. I Used one for years and loved it.
I used it for mashing and boiling.
If this works it will be easier to remove, and gets the dip tube closer to the bottom, resulting is less wasted wort.
If it doesn't work, I will be using a Bazooka type.

I was unable to get the hose clamp to sit flat on the kettle floor, so I changed to a fully screened design.

hopscreen4-64037.jpg

Back