My new de-humidifer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Argyle

Reaction score
Glad I bought the stainless steel tower. This is after I added the tower cooler, guess it's working.

Should I be concerned with the amount of condensation? My only concern is rust in the faucets (could be a blessing in disguise, I would have to buy forward sealing ones :) )

condensation (Small).jpg

haha. wow. since your tower is stainless, it should be ok, but i would be careful with those faucets. stainless ones would match your tower quite well.

the only solution i can think of, is move the kegerator somewhere cooler. i had condensation issues with my kegerator when it was in the garage, but now it is inside, and the issue is a lot better now. i just have shanks and faucets though, no tower.

best of luck.

I ran into a similar problem with my first tower cooling fan setup. I initially had a 60mm tornado-type of fan (noisy, high-flow pulled from a CPU-cooler) and my tower ended up looking just like that. My biggest concern was the energy-loss and it affecting how often the fridge kicked on. I hadn't even considered the rust potential. My solution was to move to a smaller, weaker fan. Now, the tower is cool to the touch, but doesn't de-humidify the kitchen and living room anymore.

So, if I were you, I'd slow down the fan in your tower cooling setup (assuming that's how you are cooling it) by regulating the voltage, or just restricting airflow. Even if rust isn't an issue, you are making your fridge work harder by allowing so much coldness to "escape" through the tower, which is essentially functioning as an air-to-air heat exchanger.

just my $0.02

oh, something else that could help would be to insulate the inside of the tower if it isn't, and to add insulation if it is. that should help, i think.

Maybe I could run a second "return" hose back down the tower and then insulate the tower as gnef said.

If that doesn't work I could look into voltage regulation as suggested by MrFebtober, this would also allow me to adjust it to the external (room) temps.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

It has a thin layer of foam insulation, maybe 3/8 to a 1/2 inch thick...almost like packing foam rather than insulation foam.

Back