My new Danby 5.5 cu Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
Just finished building my first keezer from a Danby 5.5cu freezer. I wanted something that could easily hold 2 kegs with room for a 3rd (corny & 1/6bbl sanke), fit a 5lb Co2 tank on the compressor hump, and look decent since I'd be keeping it in my house. I used the keezer dimension thread on this forum to help me out with my measurements and planning. I looked at a lot of different builds and incorporated what I liked into my own keezer design. Here's my main parts list, not including the hardware and basic bits:

- Danby 5.5 cu/ft Chest Freezer (DCF055A2BP)
- 2x Intertap SS Gen 2 faucets
- Taprite Dual Primary 2P Co2 & Nitrogen Regulator (Zinc bonnet)
- New 5lb Co2 tank
- 10ft Bevlex 200 beverage line
- Inkbird ITC-308 Wifi Temperature Controller
- AC Infinity AXIAL 8038 Quiet Muffin Fan
- Camper seal
- Foil-back rigid foam insulation

This isn't meant to be a how to thread, I just thought I'd post my build and get some comments & feedback on my first keezer. Enjoy!

I used a 10ft piece of select knotty pine 2x6 for my collar. I hit it with some wood conditioner, 2 coats of Early American stain & 3 coats of satin polyurethane, lightly sanding between each coat. I caulked the mitred joints on the inside and used some angle brackets & wood glue to keep everything together.
20200113-135516.jpg

20200113-120721.jpg

20200113-152330.jpg

I used the original hinges with some wood screws and screwed the lid to the collar. I used a strip of camper seal along the top of the freezer edge for a better seal and added insulation. Then I glued the collar to it with some No More Nails and weighed it down for 24hrs.
20200115-145005.jpg

20200115-232742.jpg

20200116-111706.jpg

I installed the fan (pointed downward) using some small angle brackets, and had the room for extra insulation so I cut some foil-back foam insulation to fit and Gorilla glued it to the collar. I cut angles along the top of the foam so the lid would close properly (the inside of it is angled). I drilled a hole in the back of the collar for the fan power chord and temp probe cable. I filled the hole with cotton balls. I was going to caulk it but figured this was less permanent incase I need to take the cables out for some reason. I also zip tied the temp probe to a can of BL, I've read this will give a more accurate reading of the temp of the beer, and not the air temp inside the keezer.
20200115-171149.jpg

20200117-115209.jpg

Got the gas & beverage lines hooked up & pressure tested - no leaks! I'm really happy with the finished product, and hopefully I don't run into any issues once I get some beer on tap.
20200117-173849.jpg

20200117-160706.jpg

And now, I wait...
20200120-104826.jpg

I've had the keezer running for about 2 weeks now. No issues whatsoever. The only thing was I was getting a fair amount of condensation/frost on the interior walls, probably from opening the lid too much to admire and show off my unit. I ordered a 2lbs jug of rechargeable silica beads from Amazon, put them in a small, mesh laundry bag and chucked them in. To my absolute shock, all of the previous moisture and frost was gone within 8hrs!

Have you tested out your inkbird yet? I am doing this exact same keezer build and wondering how the BL can was working out. I have not heard of that before.

The Inkbird itself works great and I love having the wifi option! I love that it graphs the temperature every 15mins, so you can see how often the compressor is coming on. As for having it set up to the BL can, I purely took this idea from the great minds of the internet. I haven't done any of my own experiments, and based my decision off of this article: https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/10/temperature-probe-place-to-immerse-or-not-to-immerse.html

I also based my decision to install a fan from this article: https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/...s-reducing-foam-with-a-recirculation-fan.html

Does anyone have any information on what temp spread (+/-) is decent for a keezer, how often the compressor should be turning on, and for how long... or is this different for everyone?

Can you confirm the 3rd ball lock corny keg fits? Took my cardboard cutouts to HD today to look at this model and 3 ball lock kegs looked borderline.
Nice build BTW, miters looking clean. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Can you confirm the 3rd ball lock corny keg fits? Took my cardboard cutouts to HD today to look at this model and 3 ball lock kegs looked borderline.
Nice build BTW, miters looking clean. :thumbsup:

Funny you should ask! When I measured my freezer I thought I could fit 3 corny's no problem. I get the whole thing built only to find it's just a hair too small for 3 kegs. That was frustrating. Had I known this I would have gone with the next biggest size freezer.

Funny you should ask! When I measured my freezer I thought I could fit 3 corny's no problem. I get the whole thing built only to find it's just a hair too small for 3 kegs. That was frustrating. Had I known this I would have gone with the next biggest size freezer.

That is frustrating! Appreciate the reply, saved me from doing the same exact thing.

Any update on this build? Were you ever able to get 3 kegs in there? I was looking at this exact model but this thread is discouraging me from getting it as I want 3 5-gallon ball lock kegs in there.

Any update on this build? Were you ever able to get 3 kegs in there? I was looking at this exact model but this thread is discouraging me from getting it as I want 3 5-gallon ball lock kegs in there.

Like I mentioned above, I couldn't get 3 corny kegs in there. Not 3x 5gal kegs anyway. For what it's worth, the diagram I referenced on this forum (Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts) said I could, so maybe my collar is the issue, but that doesn't really make sense. Other than that one detail, I'm very satisfied how this turned out, and the size is still perfect for my basement bar.

Like I mentioned above, I couldn't get 3 corny kegs in there. Not 3x 5gal kegs anyway. For what it's worth, the diagram I referenced on this forum (Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts) said I could, so maybe my collar is the issue, but that doesn't really make sense. Other than that one detail, I'm very satisfied how this turned out, and the size is still perfect for my basement bar.

That's a sweet looking keezer!
Fellow Ontarian here and was looking originally at the 5.5 cu ft. Danby (like yours) but may opt for the 7.2 cu ft. model to get 4 kegs and a 5# CO2 tank in there as well. I already have a 2 keg kegerator but want a bit more "room" (and another tap for variety) for lagering and the keezer would fit the bill.

That's a sweet looking keezer!
Fellow Ontarian here and was looking originally at the 5.5 cu ft. Danby (like yours) but may opt for the 7.2 cu ft. model to get 4 kegs and a 5# CO2 tank in there as well. I already have a 2 keg kegerator but want a bit more "room" (and another tap for variety) for lagering and the keezer would fit the bill.

Late reply, but don't hesitate on the 7.2cu/ft model! Knowing what I know now, I'll definitely go bigger next time. Cheers - Go Leafs!

@CUSTOM-441 I use Torpedo brand kegs.... They come in various gal. sizes and also have a "Slimline" model that is a little narrower in diameter than standard corny's. Might want to see if they will fit for your 3rd!!!

Back