My new Barley Crusher is great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwind

Reaction score
So after a few batches with the LHBS crush, I got a barley crusher for my birthday. My efficiency went up from 68% to 77%!

I now have the strongest rye wheat ever.:D SG is 1.060 and it has strong airlock activity after 10 hrs.

So stoked.

Mike

Cool. I just ordered mine last night from
Beer smith. Where in Richmond are you getting
your grains from ? I'm east of you near west point, and
the only thing I know of local (for grains) is Norfolk

Karb

I bought the barley crusher a couple of weeks ago and have already brewed one beer using it and currently mashing a Cal Common as I type this having used it again. The mill got me an 85% efficiency on my last beer. I have been around 80% before, but perfect crush with just one time through the mill at factory settings. Awesome piece of equipment, well built and easy to use and clean.

Happy Brewing,

Mike

So, most of you are sticking with the factory settings? I just got a barley crusher this week from Beersmith... can't wait to put it to good use.

The factory setting is supposedly fine (0.039), but I would check yours when you receive it. Mine was noticeably out of alignment with the rollers closer together on one side. Just get some feeler gauges from your local auto parts store and verify your gap.

I just ordered one myself! Can't wait for it to turn up in the mail. I just got a cooler mash tun set up, and now I just need the barley crusher to show up and the brewing supply shop to step up to the plate and process my order.

videoman said:
So, most of you are sticking with the factory settings? I just got a barley crusher this week from Beersmith... can't wait to put it to good use.

I left mine at factory settings for its first use this week. I verified the gap was 0.39". When I tried using it on the Bohemian Pilsen malt for my lager recipe, it was too close and would not bite. I ended up having to adjust it to 0.43" before it would grab the kernels.

Not sure if this type of malt has bigger kernals than normal 2-row, but it seemed weird after reading most people close the gap rather than widen it.

I left mine at the factory settings. Using feeler gauges, my rollers were parallel.

Speaking of cleaning? How do you guys clean your mills? My first thought was to run a soapy rag through it (at the factory settings), but common sense took over. Do you just brush it somehow? Or clean it wet?

kmlavoy said:
Speaking of cleaning? How do you guys clean your mills? My first thought was to run a soapy rag through it (at the factory settings), but common sense took over. Do you just brush it somehow? Or clean it wet?

I use compressed air to blow out any flour and put it away dry. Water does not touch my rollers.

Back