My most frustrating brew day yet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
I felt the need to share my brew day yesterday with you all, with hopes that somebody could learn something from it (or at least laugh at my misfortune)...

My pipeline has been getting a little thin with all of the summer parties we've been having so I was in dire need of a brew day. I work long hours and cannot brew during the week, and with a new house taking up every available free minute, the weekends are usually pretty dismal as well. But I thought I had a free day and ordered up some grains for what I'm calling a "freezer special" IIPA. Basically, I'm using up some of the less often used hops that I have in the freezer. Well, I found out a few hours after placing the order that we had to go upstate to the inlaws place while they were out of town to take care of their teenage daughter. I thought my plans were completely ruined and I'd be brewing a few weeks later with stale store-crushed grains until the SWMBO suggests I bring my equipment and brew up there. The prospect of using their filtered well water was the clincher.

Now the logistics of getting my equipment up there, along with SWMBO and the two kids, in our tiny subaru were challenging at best. I somehow managed to bring a bucket with all of my testing and tubing, the MLT, HLT and boil kettle, and my burner. I couldn't fit my compact ghetto brew stand though. The car looked a little like the Clampets when they moved to Beverleee with pots and a cooler strapped to the roof.

It was too windy and rainy Saturday to brew, so I decided to make a go of it on Sunday. It seemed like a nice enough day out so I chose the back balcony to brew (plus, it was were the BBQ was and I was using their propane :) ). Everything went fine, including nailing my target mash temp (154). Things seemed so destined to be a great brew day, we headed down and set up some targets for a little 22 Mag shooting:

b927038d.jpg

Here's SWMBO displaying her cute shooting style (she went 3/4 with this stance while I only managed 1/4 (I fully blame the scope, not the beer I was drinking))

I started heating the sparge water and realized I didn't have a 3-tiered anything for gravity transfer. With a little improvisation, I figured out something that worked:

0afcabd1.jpg

I don't own a refractometer and was too lazy to pull a sample for cooling to get a reading, not like I could have done much about a low reading anyway, considering where I was...

I put the pot on the burner and fired it up, which seemed to be a secret signal for mother nature to torture me. I felt a raindrop or two as I was fine tuning the burner output. I looked up to see a flash of light and heard what sounded like a 21-gun shotgun salute, which was immediately followed by a torrential downpour. I turned off the gas, covered the pot and scuttled inside. After waiting an hour for it to let up, I gave up and managed to carry nearly 7 gallons of 175 degree wort 150 feet to the garage without spilling a drop on my bare feet.

The boil, and cooling went off without a hitch, but when I finally got a chance to take a gravity reading, I missed target by .026! I calculated that out to be about a 58% efficiency. The only cause for this that I can see is the grain crush. I got my grains from Midwest (3's a charm, never again) and even with a ALL CAPS NOTE to double crush the grain on their finest setting, I still didn't get a good crushed grain from them. I should have spent more time and roller-pinned the grains when I saw a few that appeared to be completely unbroken. But the thought of rolling 19 lbs of grain gives me nightmares. Note to self: Grain mill is now at the top of the beer-related purchase list. I guess my IIPA is now just an overly hopped IPA.

The commute home took 2 hours longer than normal due to road construction and idiot drivers. I got home and lugged the crate with the 6-gallon carboy to the crawl space basement where I let my various experiments ferment. To my surprise, it was around 90 degrees down there. Since I've owned that place (10 months), the temp has never fluctuated more than 3 degrees from its static 65 degrees. The best that I can figure is that the dehumidifier has been running non-stop all summer and is kicking out warm air.

Luckily, I have a 9cuft chest freezer that will be my keezer when I can finally get my liquor cabinet build started just sitting there looking lonely. I scrambled back and forth to the garage locating the temp controller and a worthy extension cord and finally had it plugged in and cooling. It took a Hurculean effort to get the carboy into that keezer. There was only about 2 inches of clearance between the CO2 lock and the ceiling. I can't stand erect (giggle) down there so I had less leverage than normal. After a few grunts that would make any female tennis pro envious, I managed to have it in and the lid on. I passed out about 2 minutes later in front of the air conditioner. I checked this morning and there's a tiny krausen forming and the thermometer I tossed into the keezer as an afterthought showed a perfect 66 degrees.

I hope you enjoyed my long-winded diatribe about a less than ideal brew day. Please feel free to share your frustrating brew days!

worst brewday ever yesterday. dough in went great, went to drain and....nothing. what? open, close, open....nothing. long story short, ended up dumping my mash into a bucket. that's when i noticed my false bottom was disconnected from the valve inlet....

frustrating 2 hour sparge ensued. we'll see how the beer turns out.

worst brewday ever yesterday. dough in went great, went to drain and....nothing. what? open, close, open....nothing. long story short, ended up dumping my mash into a bucket. that's when i noticed my false bottom was disconnected from the valve inlet....

frustrating 2 hour sparge ensued. we'll see how the beer turns out.

That's one thing that I haven't experienced yet, a stuck sparge (and I hope I didn't just jinx myself...)

That's one thing that I haven't experienced yet, a stuck sparge (and I hope I didn't just jinx myself...)

well it wasn't really a "stuck sparge", it was a broken sparge, lol.

after that I really did get a stuck sparge! i was pretty angry by then, thought about abandoning. got it worked out and continued...

53% wheat + no protein rest or rice hulls. duh.

Thank God for the Second and Twenty First Amendments, without which we would have been deprived of this story.

"overly hopped IPA"... sounds about like an IPA to me! good for you for trying out brewing at the inlaw's place... weird that your crush robbed that many points... definitely get a barley crusher, it's well worth it.

Honestly, I hate to hate, but Midwest's mills really, really suck. (This was when i was last in, about 4 months ago maybe?). The mill for public use is dialed all the way down to the stops, and still couldn't crush worth a damn. I ended up taking my already "crushed" grain to Northern Brewer to actually get it crushed right...

Brewed last Thursday. Went great. Perfect really. Hit all the temps and targets. 4.5 gallons in a carboy, 3.5 gallons in a keg to pressure ferment. I have done this a half-dozen times with great success. However, I put the pressure relief valve on the beer out side by accident and well... all the beer went out as the pressure increase. ARGH!!!

Last batch I did with propane I had just mashed in and got called into work. After mashing for 6 hours or so I finally sparged and started the boil. 20 minutes in and I ran out of propane! Chilled it and tossed it in a carboy and it actually turned out really damn tasty?

The worst brew day is the one that doesn't happen..... long story short - after 2 completing 2 of 3 batches, we lost the ferrule for the compression fitting for our MLT diptube. Since it was 100+ degrees out, we just decided to seal up the already crushed grain for the 3rd batch and save it for a few weeks from now. Unfortunately, the 3rd bew was the one I planned and was looking forward. At least I'll get half of my buddy's 2 successful batches.

The worst brew day is the one that doesn't happen..... long story short - after 2 completing 2 of 3 batches, we lost the ferrule for the compression fitting for our MLT diptube. Since it was 100+ degrees out, we just decided to seal up the already crushed grain for the 3rd batch and save it for a few weeks from now. Unfortunately, the 3rd bew was the one I planned and was looking forward. At least I'll get half of my buddy's 2 successful batches.

Oh no, you only got to brew 2 batches! (<<sarcasm there)

Try having kids and a new, 90 year old house. I consider myself VERY lucky to be able to brew at all!

Did you find the fitting?

True, 2 out of 3 wasn't bad - but that was breaking the 4 month dry spell.

Yup, we found the fitting..... on page 156 of McMaster's catalog :mad:

Back