My Military ball- What beers to make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElevenBrewCo

Reaction score
I have a military "christmas" ball in January, and was wondering what would be good beers to server for my brothers in arms? I have a rolling keezer so only have the option for 2 beers. Not a hole lot for a whole company of joes, but there is still an bar they have to pay for drinks.

I was thinking maybe an ipa and a coffee porter?

I know there is a bunch of you military folks here, so what would you guys want if you had the option. Keep in mind, i bet 75% of the guys drink budlight, but i really dont want to do a simple blonde or anything.

All i ever drank while i was in was bl and keystone...lol maybe a simple ipa or pale ale nothing overwhelming on the bitterness and maybe a wit or blonde. Hopefully they will get on board and you'll end up with some new brew buddies

I was thinking maybe an ipa and a coffee porter?

..... Keep in mind, i bet 75% of the guys drink budlight, but i really dont want to do a simple blonde or anything.

Then why, if you this is for your colleagues, wouldn't you brew something they would like? You've probably chosen two of the most un approachable beers for someone who drinks primarily BMC.

So what's going to happen, then you're gonna start a thread the night after the ball bitching about how everyone poured beer and dumped it out?

I don't get it.....

Sounds like a beersnob thing to me....."I know I'm not gonna brew anything folks like, and I'm not interested in brewing anything they would."

I agree with Revvy, here. Why not brew something more appealing to the masses. It can still be in the craft beer range, but something more people might be familiar with. I'd suggest something like a mild APA or an Oktoberfest ale.

When I was in, beer drinking was more about the quantity than the quality. It wasn't til I got to Munich that I learned to appreciate beer.

I would make a PTE clone. Sounds crazy but ALL my BMC drinking freinds and fam floated that 1/4bbl in a few hours. Except the one guy that claims he is allergic to all beers other than BL, there may be no hope for him...

The 2nd beer I CHALLENGE you to make is a pilsner or a light lager style beer. It is not as easy as you would think to do a good one...

Then why, if you this is for your colleagues, wouldn't you brew something they would like? You've probably chosen two of the most un approachable beers for someone who drinks primarily BMC.

So what's going to happen, then you're gonna start a thread the night after the ball bitching about how everyone poured beer and dumped it out?

I don't get it.....

Sounds like a beersnob thing to me....."I know I'm not gonna brew anything folks like, and I'm not interested in brewing anything they would."

easy killer, no need for the name calling. Just asking

Ive done an all amarillo ipa that everyone enjoyed. So i threw that in there..and everyone loves coffee so i was just an idea. And i do not plan on starting a thread bitching about how they poured it out. We are in the army, its free beer!!!

I would make a PTE clone. Sounds crazy but ALL my BMC drinking freinds and fam floated that 1/4bbl in a few hours. Except the one guy that claims he is allergic to all beers other than BL, there may be no hope for him...

The 2nd beer I CHALLENGE you to make is a pilsner or a light lager style beer. It is not as easy as you would think to do a good one...

Whats PTE?

If I was making beer for a bunch of military guys I would make a simple session beer.

It's what they are used to. When I was in the Corps the only beer you could get on tap at the eclub was lower ABV stuff. We drank massive amounts.

How bout a Kolsh? that seems like the most approachable that a HB'r could do in the time frame. Or a cream ale...I'd like to find a recipe for a Little Kings cream ale myself.

I brew Northern Brewers Moose Droll clone ( I think they call it Caribou Slobber) a lot and can't keep my guys out of it. Real simple recipe, and its quick to finish.

Back