My low alcohol beer has no aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abw73

Reaction score
Former all grain brewer, switched back to extract a few years ago due to space limitations, now brewing all grain again.

For the past few years I only make low alcohol beers. When using extract, I add between 2-3 pounds LME with a partial mash. I have tried adding all the LME at 60, then 50% at 60 and 50% at 10. It didn't resolve my problem.

When it comes to hops, 1 ounce under 10% AA at 60, and anywhere from 1 to 3 ounces of Summit, Citra, or NZ between 15, 10, 5, 0, and sometimes dry hopped at least 1 ounce or more.

With my last 2 batches, I did a 30 minute hop stand after the boil. Out of about a dozen beers I have made, zero have any aroma, none, either after the boil or bottling and waiting 2 weeks.

Last week I went back to all grain, and just brewed another batch of my NZ beer, 5# of grain mashed around 145F, 1 ounce of Amarillo at 60, and 2 ounces of NZ at 10.

I always have a full rolling boil.

I wondered if the hops were the issue since I bought a large bag of NZ Pac Hall and NZ Saaz, and I just tape them shut and freeze until using, but I have also put brand new, fresh Summit and Citra in as well. Zero aroma.

Water is straight from the city. I drink it all the time. I have used Wyeast 1056, 1332, and 1098, and ferment between 70 and 76.

After bottling, they carbonate in a cupboard for 1-2 weeks, then refrigerate for a few hours.

So far out of 3 people I have asked at 2 homebrew stores, not one person has any idea what the problem could be. I realize most people want alcohol in their beer, but I like mine light.

I'm wondering if the root of the problem is the small amount of extract or grain. I brewed a NZ hop beer years ago, 10 gallons, all grain, full grain bill, with 3 ounces at 10 minutes, and had plenty of aroma immediately after the boil, and when it was kegged, the aroma was even more intense.

How much priming sugar do you use at bottling time? The couple times that I had batches that were lacking in aroma, I feel like they were a little undercarbonated as well.

Water could be an issue as higher sulfates can bring out the hop characteristics you're looking for. Have you moved or changed water sources?

Also for big aroma and flavor you really need more late additions, whirlpool additions and dry hopping.

As you mentioned on small amount of extract, isomerization would be more with the 60 minute addition for bitterness, not so much flavor and aroma I believe, could be wrong...

Back