My Latest Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just bottled my smoked porter and it tastes great. I can't seem to find a link to the recipe so I'll just type it in here:

Picket Fence Porter 5.5 gallons

9.5 lbs 2-row
2.5 lbs Rauch Malt
0.75 lb Crystal 150
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Black Patent

0.75 oz Target 11.5% 90 min
1.0 oz Willamette 4.6% 20 min
0.75 oz Liberty 3.6% 10 min

White Labs WLP 007 Dry English Ale

A few notes about this beer and the ingredients:
This was the largest grain bill I have put in my 5 gallon cooler mash tun (14 lbs). This is one of a couple recipes where I have used a good amount of crystal 150. The color isn't as dark as you'd think that it gives, but it definately adds more unfermentable sugars, at least more than lower lovibond ratings of crystal. My OG was 1.073, but the FG bottomed out at 1.022, 6.8% ABV.
The combination of the chocolate and black patent malts is about the balance I was looking for. The chocolate flavor is there and there is a little roasted coffee flavor after, not burnt or charcoal tasting. Add that to the sweetmess from the crystal and it's a nice, thick bittersweet beer. Also add to that just a hint of smokiness from the rauch malt and you have the makings of a great smoked porter.

Some friends asked me to make this beer like the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Now I want to get my hands on some so I can compare.

Back